Burried deep in the wilderness of northern Maine, two steam locomotives have been rusting since the 1940's. These locomotives used to operate the The Eagle Lake & West Branch Railroad, which ran for 13 miles and was used to transfer lumber between two drainage basins where moving logs by river wasn't possible. The railway started operating in 1927 and ceased operations in 1933. The location is so remote that the Great Northern Paper Company, which owned the railroad, never bothered to haul the locomotives out or scrap them. The locomotives are a popular destination for hikers and outdoorsman. There is almost no trace of the 13 miles of rail line except for the buttresses of a 1,600 foot long trestle over the Alagash River.
The two locomotives are:
#1: A 4-6-0 built in 1897 for the New York Central at the Schenectady Locomotive Works.
#2 A 2-8-0 built in 1901 for the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway.
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2021 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.