Welcome to the International Discussion forum

 
  mikesyd Chief Commissioner

Location: Lurking
Will the international news stories be returning to the site any time soon?
JimYarin

Not in their previous form, which was the reason for their removal - there being so many it was impossible to get through them unless you had all day, and more, not to mention the storage they were consuming. They had to be stopped. I think, and I stand corrected if I am wrong, that TonyMercury even admitted that he posted them as a sort of private archive some years back. Then the other one came in and flooded the place for a few years until action was finally taken.

This is, after all, an Australian site - its called Railpage Australia. Those who want Europe, Asia, US, etc should go looking for it elsewhere - about 95% of what was posted here in recent years was  just a collection of reposts in any case. Sorting out the remaining 5% would obviously be very difficult for the admins.

I don't think International has a place here in any case, even though I did post some trip reports (as did others) and some other items of interest in the EU section (my very first post in 2007 was in there) which have of course now gone.

The new forum now, to me, is worthless, and may as well follow its predecessor into the hidden archives.


EDIT - as mentioned a few posts above, it seems the news stories are now in a different section - heaps of them:

https://www.railpage.com.au/news/topic-10/1/

Sponsored advertisement

  JimYarin Chief Commissioner

Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Not in their previous form, which was the reason for their removal - there being so many it was impossible to get through them unless you had all day, and more, not to mention the storage they were consuming. They had to be stopped. I think, and I stand corrected if I am wrong, that TonyMercury even admitted that he posted them as a sort of private archive some years back. Then the other one came in and flooded the place for a few years until action was finally taken.

This is, after all, an Australian site - its called Railpage Australia. Those who want Europe, Asia, US, etc should go looking for it elsewhere - about 95% of what was posted here in recent years was  just a collection of reposts in any case. Sorting out the remaining 5% would obviously be very difficult for the admins.

I don't think International has a place here in any case, even though I did post some trip reports (as did others) and some other items of interest in the EU section (my very first post in 2007 was in there) which have of course now gone.

The new forum now, to me, is worthless, and may as well follow its predecessor into the hidden archives.


EDIT - as mentioned a few posts above, it seems the news stories are now in a different section - heaps of them:

https://www.railpage.com.au/news/topic-10/1/
mikesyd

This is what I was refering to @mikesyd as there were news items on the front page and these have stopped appearing.  I do miss some of the international posts as there were great stories amongst the listings.

Will the news stories be returning to the front page?
  mikesyd Chief Commissioner

Location: Lurking

Will the news stories be returning to the front page?
JimYarin
They are on the Railpage home page, not the Forums home page.

Forums are forums, not the place for world rail news.
  alexjc Deputy Commissioner

Have returned for a look at the new and improved International News...

Can understand why change was needed, reason for me leaving was a certain poster constantly cut and pasting articles repeatedly. This ruined the New Zealand and Oceania page...which is now gone. I did lay complaints but gave up as nothing was done about it.

I'm wondering if it could come back as a page in the State by State section of the forum?
  alexjc Deputy Commissioner

Have returned for a look at the new and improved International News...

Can understand why change was needed, reason for me leaving was a certain poster constantly cut and pasting articles repeatedly. This ruined the New Zealand and Oceania page...which is now gone. I did lay complaints but gave up as nothing was done about it.

I'm wondering if it could come back as a page in the State by State section of the forum?
  alexjc Deputy Commissioner

Have returned for a look at the new and improved International News...

Can understand why change was needed, reason for me leaving was a certain poster constantly cut and pasting articles repeatedly. This ruined the New Zealand and Oceania page...which is now gone. I did lay complaints but gave up as nothing was done about it.

I'm wondering if it could come back as a page in the State by State section of the forum?
  jayrail Assistant Commissioner

Location: te Anau Southern Alps NZ
I agree alexjc is spot on.Lots of NZ/Aust links in CER between the 2 nations.His last para says it best.
  michaelgreenhill Administrator That's Numberwang!

Location: Melbourne
I'm wondering if it could come back as a page in the State by State section of the forum?
alexjc
As I've said before, regional forums may be created if there are enough posts to justify it.
  jayrail Assistant Commissioner

Location: te Anau Southern Alps NZ
As Michael has indicated,members start a thread;
How about NZ Rail Heritage activities;eg Kingston Flyer in limbo at Kingston,for sale,Invercargill wants it to run to Bluff.Queenstown planners are requesting the Flyer could be moved away after  an embargo  could be removed.
  NSWGR8022 Chief Commissioner

Location: From the lands of Journalism and Free Speech
As Michael has indicated,members start a thread;
How about NZ Rail Heritage activities;eg Kingston Flyer in limbo at Kingston,for sale,Invercargill wants it to run to Bluff.Queenstown planners are requesting the Flyer could be moved away after  an embargo  could be removed.
jayrail

Bring back just he New Zealand thread.  Lots of useful posts in there.
  jayrail Assistant Commissioner

Location: te Anau Southern Alps NZ
NZ rails have a link to WA rails with engineers of repute, CYC O'Connor.WA gained growth  in its early constructions with skills of this brilliant engineer. In 1866 he joined the new NZ colony in railway works and later included the Otira Gorge region to name a few.In 1981  he removed to WA and thus began a marvellous family name there via civil constructions.
Many rail heritage stories  therein today.
Hope the thread widens.
  mikesyd Chief Commissioner

Location: Lurking
Bring back just he New Zealand thread.  Lots of useful posts in there.
NSWGR8022
But no new NZ related Threads in the 10 weeks since the old forums were removed.

As Michael has said a few times already, get some useful threads going and see what the activity is.

As it stands right now, of the 20 or so new threads since the change, 3 are Nigerian related, so right now Nigeria has a better chance for a forum of its own than NZ does.

Mind you, most of the new threads are not exactly rivetting stuff.
  michaelgreenhill Administrator That's Numberwang!

Location: Melbourne
Bring back just he New Zealand thread.  Lots of useful posts in there.
NSWGR8022

  jayrail Assistant Commissioner

Location: te Anau Southern Alps NZ
headbangers sending jungle messages out to Kiwi railfans,come on in.

Sponsored advertisement

Subscribers: 8077, jayrail, JimYarin, Pressman

Display from:   

Quick Reply

We've disabled Quick Reply for this thread as it was last updated more than six months ago.