So it seems the latest list of Preserved S set cars / Double Deck Non-air conditioned cars
C3801 - C3804 Tulloch Prototype
- C3804 Stored and Displayed at NSWRM Thirlmere
C3805 - C3857 Comeng Mk 1 Power Cars
- C3805 Stored at Paint Shop/Redfern/HET. First Comeng suburban power car in service
- C3814 Stored at Paint Shop/Redfern/HET
- C3840 is not preserved and I doubt it will be but it is located at the Petersham Training College. These are the only 3 Comeng Mk 1 cars now left in existence
C3858 - C3911 Comeng Mk 2 Power Cars
- None preserved as of now, C3861 is the oldest suburban power car still in service I believe
C3912 - C3986 Comeng Mk 3 Power Cars
- C3912 It looks like this one may be preserved, it was seen during the Flemington Maintenance Center Family open day getting prepped for a bogie swap. This is the first car of the Mk 3 Contract
- C3986 Currently in service replacing a motor that was sent to scrap. This is the last car of the Mk 3 contract.
C3741 - C3765 Comeng Mk 4 Power Cars
- C3765 Not sure if this one is in service on another set now, as the other 3 cars it was formally with were sent to scrap, much like 3986 and 3912. This was the last Comeng suburban power car delivered/into service.
T4921 - T4962 Comeng Mk 1 Trailer
- None preserved
T4963 - T4987 Comeng Mk 2 Trailers
- None preserved, the Mark 2 trailers were different to the Mark 1's in that they had 3 vents along the side rather than 2.
D4001 - D4010 Comeng Driving Control Trailer
- None preserved. Supposely D4006 was to be set aside. Not sure which one is left that still has it's cab intact
C3001 - C3080 Goninan Power Cars
- C3001 This one is now set aside for preservation at Flemington MC and was open for viewing during the FMC Family Open day not long ago with a V set and Red Set F1.
T4101 - T4170 Goninan Trailers
- T4101 This one is said that it will be set aside for preservation. It along with C3001 were the first 2 cars officially handed over in a ceremony around almost exactly 40 years ago and the first 2 of the Goninan's to enter service. C3001 and T4101 were also the leading 2 cars of the first official train for the opening of the ESR/Bondi Junction line in June 1979.
- T4150 Stored at Paint Shop/Redfern/HET. This is the carriage the Queen and Prince travelled on in 1980 from Bankstown.
Will be interesting to see what last cars they pick. Any of the Mk 2/Mk 3/Mk 4 and Goninan power cars will probably be set aside fully intact and operational ready to go for tours, including trailers. Will be interesting to see if they keep another Goninan power car. I believe C3005 is still around, pretty sure i've seen it. It was part of the second official train for the ESR opening in 1979.