I think Google Maps begs to differ with you about space on the 'city bound' side of the Upfield line near Macauley Rd. There are a number of commercial buildings currently in the way. Buying them would add substantially to the cost and one feature of this project has been avoidance of property acquisition. And I don't understand what you are trying to say with the rest of your post - there seem to be a lot of assumptions in your post about what connects with what that aren't clear to me. Could you explain your idea more thoroughly so others (e.g. me) can understand? Neil
Nope fair enough, there is a little bit of space but it would require acquisition bumping up the cost. Sorry for not being clear with the rest of the post, this was my alternative
My alternative to the Upfield Line Removals
So you could potentially have the Upfield Line run into a tunnel at Royal Park and going via Melbourne Metro 2. This eliminates Macauley Rd, Arden St and Polar Rd Level Crossings. This would give the Upfield Line commuters more services as well as giving them the connection to the Parkville precinct. The other crossings can be done via elevated rail which has been spoken to death about
To justify Upfield running via Melbourne Metro 2 you would duplicate the line and extend it to Cragieburn via the Somerton Link, again we have discussed this.
However, a line to Wollert is going to be eventually constructed and run via MM2. My proposal is that you could have an extension from Cragieburn to Wollert (9-11km) as stage 1 and then from Wollert to Epping (6km) as stage 2.
The Cragieburn Line could be extended to Wallan to cover for the Upfield Line now being extended to Wollert. This has many benefits.
- Upfield Line LX Removals and gets to run via to Parkville, then via MM2
- Wollert gets a train service as proposed and also puts the Upfield Line to good use
- Eliminates 3 LX including Macauley Rd
- When Stage 2 of my proposed Wollert Line is implemented, from Wollert to Epping, it will improve orbital connectivity and connect the Cragieburn/Upfield Lines to the Mernda Lines via Wollert
- Wallan is still part of Metro but runs via Cragieburn Line then via the loop to Baxter as proposed