Sigh . The original statement was: "We don't have enough green power to make a vhst carbon neutral"Also right now as of 9:48 pm on the 12/3/2019 90% of the electricity in NSW is being generated by coal. the other 10% is gas, hydro and wind. wind is producing only 225 MW6MW is the load draw running at assumed 300km/h, to run at 350km/h it would be easily be another 1MW as wind resistance drag is basically exponential. Allowing for stops and breaking regen lets assume 3h trip at 6MW current draw, so each service pulls 18MW.
Does that 60MW count for the entire 800km journey of a single journey RTT?
So assume 16 return services a day, you will need 16 to be a serious contender against air and not dissimilar to some other OS corridors. 16 x 2 x 18 = 576MWh in a day, basically what Tomago Aluminium Smelter uses in 40min.
NSW last 12mths electrical mix (OpenNEM)
Coal - 77%
Solar - 4.5%
Wind - 4.6%
Hydro - 3.3%
CCGT - 1.2%
OCGT - 0.7%
Now the critical part, imported power 8.2% of which most comes from Qld and hence obviously coal, the bulk of the rest is Vic's wet mud labelled as coal. Roughly 225,000 MWh every day in total load and HSR will add 0.25% more load.
(yes all the who ha about RE and wholesale power prices going up 2.5 x in 10 years has been driven by just 9% of the total supply, just think what will happen with 90% supply)
So anyone thinking the HSR will be built to run on only RE is dreaming, NSW is currently pulling around 85% of its current energy from burning coal alone. So until the this coal energy is replaced something more green, any HSR will just be adding to the existing load, which is 85%, yes building more wind or solar for HSR will help dilute the coal, but the coal is still there.
576MWh at 8kWh per 1kg of coal = 72t of coal per day
A 737 burns 40-50L/min
So 50 flights a day x 1h of fuel burning x return = ~270,000L of Jet A1 per day or 250t/day.
However as I said before, if we assume a all stopper Sydney Spark or Melbourne Spark uses 0.5MW every hour due to stop / start nature of service, regen etc and moves 1000 people per 1hr long service. You could run 1100 extra 1h long services every day. Thats 1,100,000 commuters every work day x 250 work days a year = 275,000,000 extra commuters off the road or bus each year. Likely more as most Sydney and Mel commuter services at than 1h from start to city, so say even 300m users, almost as much as Sydney Trains does now. So service 5mpa of so plane users on one corridor or 300mpa commuters across the country?
Anyone (large industrial users) can contract across the grid to buy power from whomever they wish including RE, provided its available. As shown before there is more than enough available. If a VHST operator wanted to they could do so and ONE HYDRO PLANT AT PART LOAD, could do it.
If they wanted to. Of course they could just buy from the general mix as well or 100% coal. If they wanted to.
As shown above on an energy basis using your value as a starting point a VHST will use about 1.3% of total available renewables