And its reports time!!!
And a technical report here
In short, more volumes required to make it viable. They say that NT and Qld have started looking for these volumes in any case...
Capital cost estimates:
- SG Tennant Creek to Mt Isa - $2.7bn
- SG TC to MI plus DG MI to Cloncurry - $3.39bn
- SG TC to Townsville - $6.6bn
- DG TC to Townsville - $6.5bn
Other options were provided but NG only from TC to MI was not part of any option.
Also the maps provided are interesting. The line would go through areas without much in the way of known mining potential, but to the north and sounth there look to be other more promising fields.
NG MI to TC is pointless, but extending MI to Cloncurry as DG, assume direct would be valuable, thats assuming it simply didn't kill off traffic on the MI line.
Regardless, $2.7B to just go SG MI to TC. So how about this as a plan
- Take $2.7B from the govt
- Give back $1.3B to the govt for other projects
- Build the 120km missing link between MI and Cloncurry ($500-600M), single straight track, no passing loops, should be cheap.
- Spend the rest on upgrading the rest of the MI line to enable faster, longer and heavier trains.
- If a mine with viable tonnages was to start, then extend from what ever end is closest as needed.