Barnyard is citing his own budgeting issues in support of an increase to Newstart
Attitude of the government remains unchanged,
1. They have created thousands of jobs so too bad.
2. It's transitional. There's a job just around the corner!
3. It's going to cost $3 billion and the surplus is far more important.
4. $158 billion in tax cuts will create lots of jobs.
No happy clappy for those trying to live on it, besides fiscal responsibility is character building
I know you hate Pauline but she was spot on about this the other day on Sky;
she said they just love to punish to the structurally-unemployed people that they've made that way by off-shoring all the good working class jobs. There's heaps of structural unemployment in our society in my opinion, it's just well-hidden with do-nothing .
Anyway on that point Pauline was never more prescient or correct - they just love to make out that the economy is a bed of roses but frankly 6% unemployed is really 9% unemployed (according to Roy Morgan) and that's really not very good, especially when we here in SA still have the equal-highest unemployment on the mainland - somewhat unusually shared with WA instead of QLD at the moment.
While I'm having a whinge about SA issues; did you see the Advertiser
on the Saturday - both were loaded with paid adverts from the SA government about -
- Space jobs, lots of them at the "Lot Fourteen" development (old RAH)
- Lots of stuff about the UniSA and Adelaide Uni expansions on North Terrace;
- Submarine and frigate jobs plus other numerous semi-secretive things going on we can't really tell you about (in case you haven't heard);
- Reinforces the fact that we're The Defense State don't you know - just don't mention Yemen;
Isn't Steve Marshall rather handsome to boot? Nothing really about regional SA though.
I had to search for a long time to find the 'paid endorsement' labels, doesn't News Ltd care about crappy old adverts qualifying as editorial content any more? Ridiculous when this kind of guff is integrated with the 'news' so as to appear like the news, why bother buying the newspaper if you only get ads...