Three decades of history and I'll ignore how they abolished Medibank. We have a Medicare system that's stretched to the limit with a heavily subsidised Private System which many cannot afford but have no real choice.
The LNP might not be game to abolish Medicare but they do degrade it.Please explain!
Classic LNP economics, socialise the losses, privatise the profits.
Medicare is not stretched to the limit and how can that be anyway, it only pays for what its funded.
The Private Health System needs a subsidy because Australian's don't understand what it costs to run the health system. The Medicare levy is a joke in that its only partial funding, the rest being consolidated revenue. Perhaps spend a few minutes going through the health budgets of the various states and Fed govt to work out what the health system really costs. Hence we have this convoluted funding arrangement.
The Private Health insurance system is also twisted to not support healthy people taking it out and I was one of them. We looked up the cost of private health insurance and then set up a monthly savings plan for a rainy day. The few times I went to hospital I paid private patient in public system. I also demand estimated costs up front by the Dr, something Australian's are not used to doing, OS such as Dubai its mandatory for every procedure, dental etc.
The so called subsidy is basically transferring the cost of private health insurance to pre-tax incomes.
My thoughts on how to resolve
- Medicare levy should be changed so its fully funding the health system. At least this way the cost is not hidden. I previously tried to work it out and its around 20-25%.
- Dental and glasses are funded by Medicare
- Bulk Billing is removed and you may a fee to Visit the Dr. Low income, chronically ill and well-fare people compensated after many visits.
- For those with private health, they get a discount on medicare levy
- Medicare cards are also your medical history to eliminate Dr shopping and for all the practical reasons its beneficial health wise.
The reason I say remove Bulk Billing because having used one bulk billing Dr in Gladstone, they are screwing the taxpayer. ie to get a comment, "the blood test was negative" for my kid with nothing else required, required me to leave work 3h early, sit in a waiting room for 1hr and spend 30sec in with the Dr. The private practice we normally used would have told me that over the phone. (by chance, I later met the owner of that practice in India, Australian guy who used to work at the smelter, he wasn't a Dr and we had a very heated debate on how he admitted his business was screwing the taxpayers.)