With a 2500hp EMD 645E3B to push it along, A66 seems like overkill for its two-car consist on an afternoon Frankston to Stony Point service in October 1998.
The Stony Point line is an extension of the Melbourne suburban network, but is not electrified. The service was regularly loco-hauled from the early 1990s until 2008 when replaced with railcars.
A66 started life with the Victorian Railways in 1952 as B66 with an EMD567B power unit, but was substantially rebuilt along with other B class units in 1984/85. A66 remains in service with V/Line, but is used infrequently.
Locomotives in this photo
Copyright of the photo remains with the original author.