V/Lines P17 heads up an early evening mid-distance commuter service about to depart Melbourne's Spencer Street station for a location in regional Victoria. a second P class unit can just be seen attached to the rear of the train.
P17 originally entered service with the Victorian Railway as T327 in 1956. In 1984/85 Martin & King, Somerton rebuilt 13 T class as P class locos. This involved replacing the EMD 8-567C engine with an EMD 8-645E, replacement of the main generator and traction motors, and provision of head end power for use on passenger services.
Locomotives in this photo
Copyright of the photo remains with the original author.