Locomotive 3265 was commissioned on 6 January 1902 and operated on the New South Wales rail system for 66 years until 1968. It is the only surviving member of the class with its original low frame. This locomotive's most famous duty was in the mid-1930s when, named Hunter and in its splendid maroon and black livery, it hauled the Newcastle Businessmen's Express to and from Sydney.
In the immediate post-war period, 3265 was based at Enfield and Eveleigh depots but by 1948 it commenced an almost 20-year assignment to country depots including Junee, Cowra, Broadmeadow and Bathurst.
In January 1968, after many years of main and branch line working, 3265 was retired and set aside for preservation.