This building towers over the railway line adjacent to the (current) Spingvale Road level crossing. It is a relic of WWII when the importation of chemicals to Australia was restricted. This facility, 97 feet feet high, was built in 1943 to produce resins, turpentine, acetates, oil and tars locally from waste timber products.
Today the tower is empty, but the ground floor remains in use as an air conditioning retail showroom and warehouse. The height of the building is shown by the comparison with the 1922 lattice overhead structure, with extensions originally for 22kV lines to the old Springvale traction substation.