Ex-Victorian Railways 4-6-0 steam loco A2-986 was built at Newport Workshops in 1915 as a coal burner. With its six foot diameter driving wheels, it was permitted to travel at 70 m.p.h. when hauling passenger trains.
The A2 class locos were regularly rostered to haul the "Geelong Flyer" - a passenger train that ran from Spencer Street station to Geelong.
In the early 1940's, when good steaming coal was difficult to come by, A2-986 was converted to oil-burning. She would remain as an oil-burner until withdrawn from service in 1963.
This loco was one of the few A2's to receive the highly balanced "boxpok" driving wheels when the conventional spoked wheels started to suffer fatigue cracks due to age and mileage late in the loco's life.
A2-986 was finally withdrawn on the 2nd of December, 1963. She was stored at Newport Workshops until 1971 when the loco was sold to the Warragul Shire in Gippsland for display.
The A2 was hauled to Warragul by electric loco L-1151 on the 31st of July, 1971 and was originally displayed on a short section of the former Warragul to Noojee branchline near the station.
At a later date she was re-located to a park at the western side of town before being purchased by Steamrail Victoria for restoration in Melbourne.
J-550 which had been on display at Mirboo North was cosmetically restored by Steamrail and swapped with A2-986. The A2 is now being overhauled at Steamrail's Newport Depot for return to mainline running. The loco is being restored as a coal burner. 10:40am, Sunday the 20th of January, 1985.
Locomotives in this photo
Copyright of the photo remains with the original author.