News

 

Showing stories from November 2009

1 2 3 4 of 6 5 6

Melbourne-Sydney speed train roadblock

Posted Wednesday, 18 November, 2009 by wolfpac in Rail News

AUSTRALIA will not have a high-speed rail link for another 10 to 15 years, despite having the technology ready to go.

QR rules out road freight move

Posted Wednesday, 18 November, 2009 by bevans in Queensland Rail News

Queensland Rail (QR) says it does not have plans to move small freight from the state's north to Brisbane off trains and onto roads.

The Rail, Tram and Bus Union says its members have been told changes to the movement of small freight would come into effect from January next year.

UGL secures $108m in rail freight orders

Posted Wednesday, 18 November, 2009 by bevans in Rail News

Engineer UGL Ltd says it has secured $108 million in new supply and maintenance projects.

The new orders include the design and manufacture of 10 C44ACi locomotives, incorporating technology from GE Transportation, for Xstrata Coal, a 10-year maintenance program for the locomotives and a further 300 wagons.

Funding for Amtrak contingent on allowing guns on board

Posted Wednesday, 18 November, 2009 by Speed in International Rail News

The U.S. Congress has raised a monetary Bill, in which funding for Amtrak is contingent on passengers being allowed to take guns onto the train. Guns had been banned from Amtrak services in 2001, in response to terrorism fears.

Rail disruption after derailment

Posted Wednesday, 18 November, 2009 by bevans in International Rail News

Rail commuters are facing a second day of disruption after a crash led to a train derailment in Leeds.

The collision, between two empty East Midlands trains at the Neville Hill maintenance depot, took place in the early hours of Tuesday.

Northern Rail said services between Leeds and York were affected and bus services were running on some routes while the carriages were removed.

Delays after freight train derails

Posted Wednesday, 18 November, 2009 by bevans in Queensland Rail News

A FREIGHT train has derailed in central Queensland, causing delays for passenger, coal and freight train services throughout the region.

The 33-wagon Queensland Rail (QR) driver-only freight train was carrying fruit from Cairns to Brisbane when it derailed near Raglan, between Gladstone and Rockhampton, at 2pm (AEST) today.

$7.5b coal plan gets major project status

Posted Thursday, 19 November, 2009 by bevans in Queensland Rail News

Waratah Coal says the Federal Government's declaration of major project status for the China First project is an important step forward.

The $7.5 billion project at Alpha, in Queensland's Galilee Basin, includes a new coal mine, clean coal power station and new rail line from Alpha to Abbot Point near Bowen in the state's north.

Nationals keep standardised rail push on track

Posted Thursday, 19 November, 2009 by bevans in Victorian Rail News

The National party is keeping pressure on the Victorian Government to standardise the rail network, despite a major grain freight company moving to ease pressure on the system.

The Australian Wheat Board is doubling its grain train fleet in Victoria by commissioning 90 extra wagons to come into service early next year to move this year's big grain harvest.

Media Release: AWB doubles grain train fleet

Posted Thursday, 19 November, 2009 by bevans in Press Releases

AWB has commissioned construction of 90 additional grain wagons, which will more than double its fleet of the 68-tonne capacity rail wagons.

The decision to expand the fleet was taken after the excellent operational performance of the original 84 wagons brought into service earlier this year, and with better seasonal conditions in much of south eastern Australia. The expansion of the rail fleet will allow AWB to deliver on its strategy of ensuring supply to its high value customers.

The additional wagons will be delivered early in 2010 and will mean AWB owns four complete grain trains, with one additional train on lease. AWB’s trains are hauled by specialist freight operator El Zorro.

Tender plans for rail future

Posted Thursday, 19 November, 2009 by bevans in Western Australian Rail News

Rail companies from all over the world are lining up for the chance to move WA's grain by rail.

In a major policy shift, the Cooperative Bulk Handling Group will call for interested parties to bid, but CBH itself may end up deciding to invest in locos and rolling stock.

Current arrangements will remain in place this year, with ARG or the Australian Rail Group continuing to provide the trains for grain freight.

CBH's Michael Musgrave is overseeing the tender process for next year and he says companies from all over the world are showing interest.

FMG warning on mining infrastructure

Posted Thursday, 19 November, 2009 by bevans in Western Australian Rail News

The chief executive of Fortescue Metals Group, Andrew Forrest, says Australia is losing its global dominance in the iron ore sector because of poor infrastructure planning.

Mr Forrest's comments follow yesterday's speech by BHP Billiton CEO, Marius Kloppers, in which he said he is still not certain the global financial crisis is over.

Brisbane's light rail tunnel vision

Posted Thursday, 19 November, 2009 by bevans in Tram and Light Rail News

Light rail was on the agenda for Brisbane, but Premier Anna Bligh ruled out a return to trams on the city's streets.

Rather, the Premier today launched a vision for an underground light rail project linking Toowong, West End, the CBD, Newstead, Bowen Hills, Bulimba and Bowen Hills by 2030.

Asset sale money for infrastructure: Bligh

Posted Friday, 20 November, 2009 by bevans in Queensland Rail News

Premier Anna Bligh says asset sales will allow the Queensland Government to invest in new projects, such as an underground metro rail system in Brisbane.

She says Brisbane's booming population will need a public transport system like the London Tube by 2030.

Minister denies rail project delays

Posted Friday, 20 November, 2009 by bevans in Tram and Light Rail News

Queensland Transport Minister Rachel Nolan has rejected suggestions the Gold Coast's light rail project could be up to two years late.

Gold Coast Mayor Ron Clarke says he believes the 2014 starting date for services may be ambitious and the Property Council's Peter Trathen says he is concerned about delays in early works for the project.

Three youths caught red-handed painting graffiti on back of a moving train

Posted Saturday, 21 November, 2009 by bevans in Victorian Rail News

THREE youths caught red-handed daubing graffiti on the back of a moving train have been branded halfwits by Connex.

The male skylarkers were captured on film standing on the back of a train leaving Seddon station.

Dressed in singlets and shorts, they appeared to be putting graffiti on the back window, which Connex spokesman John Rees said would have put the train out of action until it could be removed.

Gheringhap Sightings w/e 21/11/2009

Posted Sunday, 22 November, 2009 by GheringhapLoop in Gunzelling Reports

There were 98 sightings for this week. This is ten sighting less than last week, making a total of 3959 sightings for this year to date. On day 325 last year we had recorded 4593 sightings.

We have seen only five sightings on the B/G this week, which are six less that last week.

Three times denied: western Sydney misses out on transport, again

Posted Monday, 23 November, 2009 by bevans in New South Wales Rail News

Sydney is experiencing transport gridlock. Public transport services in the CBD are overcrowded, even though train services are inadequate and in many suburbs non-existent. In response, transport plans are announced and then reannounced. New rail lines are proposed but then abandoned, and governments blame increasing costs and global financial problems.

Sound familiar? Welcome to Sydney in the early 1900s, when the city's congestion problems first emerged. The present transport debates bear a striking resemblance to those of a century ago - right down to the obsession with providing major infrastructure in the CBD and the arguments about the merits of metro-style services versus heavy rail.

Minister

Posted Monday, 23 November, 2009 by bevans in Cityrail News

The New South Wales Transport Minister Gladys Berejiklian says major delays this morning on Sydney's rail network should not have happened. Major lines across the city were affected when overnight track work at Homebush failed to finish on time. Cityrail says there were delays of up to 30 minutes on the Airport-East Hills, Bankstown, Inner West, North Shore, Northern, South, Western and Blue Mountains lines.

Company confident on completing rail projects

Posted Monday, 23 November, 2009 by bevans in Queensland Rail News

Infrastructure company ATEC says it will be able to complete two major rail projects in southern Queensland on time.

The company has won approval to build a border railway between Toowoomba and Moree.

It is also part of a consortium that is about to build the Surat Basin rail link between Toowoomba and Gladstone.

Inquest into train deaths to start

Posted Monday, 23 November, 2009 by bevans in Queensland Rail News

The Queensland coroner will on Tuesday start an inquest into the death of three boys struck by a train in Brisbane in 2006.

Hayden Duncan, 11, his brother Glen Duncan, 8, of Mount Gravatt East, and their nine-year-old cousin Reggie Fisher, of Carole Park, died instantly when they were struck by a passenger train between Goodna and Redbank stations in Brisbane's west about 6.40pm (AEST) on March 11, 2006.

They were killed just 40 minutes after police cautioned them for standing too close to the edge of the platform.

Trains shunted aside for Connex's final Melbourne run

Posted Tuesday, 24 November, 2009 by bevans in Victorian Rail News

IN WHAT many commuters will see as a fitting end to its decade running Melbourne's rail system, the last train Connex will run is to be replaced by a bus.

Connex - which began running trains in Melbourne in 1999 when Victoria's railways were privatised - will hand over the rundown network to new operator Metro Trains in the early hours of Monday.

But due to track works around Laverton station, the final Connex service in operation will be a bus, leaving Newport station at 12.32am.

Growth in public transport use slows

Posted Tuesday, 24 November, 2009 by bevans in Victorian Rail News

After a period of strong growth, patronage on Melbourne's public transport network is easing.

The number of trips taken on metropolitan trams, trains and buses grew by seven per cent in the 12 months to the end of September.

That compares with an increase of 13 per cent over the year to the end of March.

Connex off track till the bitter end

Posted Tuesday, 24 November, 2009 by bevans in Victorian Rail News

Connex, Melbourne's outgoing passenger train operator is going out with a whimper when it finishes up its contract at the end of the month.

It has been revealed that one of the last trains will be partially replaced by a bus, because of ongoing track work.

Inquest underway into triple rail fatality

Posted Tuesday, 24 November, 2009 by bevans in Queensland Rail News

An inquest has been told that three boys struck and killed by a train west of Brisbane had been warned to keep away from railway tracks.

Hayden Duncan, 10, his eight-year-old brother Glen Duncan and their nine-year-old cousin Reggie Fisher were killed when they were hit by a train in the Ipswich suburb of Goodna in 2006.

Trains go off line when soap runs out

Posted Tuesday, 24 November, 2009 by bevans in Victorian Rail News

MELBOURNE'S trains are being taken out of service because of empty window-washer bottles, rail maintenance reports from the past fortnight show.

The leaked reports show reasons for trains being sent to the repair yards by drivers include a cracked plastic cover on a train's high-beam light switch, a lack of soap in a window-washer bottle, several empty window-washer bottles, and window washers pointing in the wrong direction.

1 2 3 4 of 6 5 6