Council needs to fast-track rail before gridlock
First train ride re-enacted for Queensland Rail's 150th birthday
Nambour a better option: Woombye anti-rail stabling group
South west Queensland pushes for more rail services for cattle
Tilt Trains set for a major overhaul
Ipswich celebrates heritage at Rail Museum on Open Day
Two rail lines earmarked for northern Australia
The $55.8 million dual gauge rail line from Acacia Ridge to Bromelton remains unfinished
Police investigate if fallen powerlines on Gold Coast train line work of vandals
Sourcing critical railway upgrade funding needs cool heads and smart solutions
A question mark looms over the $1.15 billion Moreton Bay Rail Link, after Mayor Allan Sutherland confirmed the project was under review and Transport Minister Scott Emerson refused to give an iron-clad guarantee it would proceed in its present form.
Mr Emerson did not answer specific questions about the project, but said in a statement: "We are committed to delivering this project, however given the level of state debt and the Labor government's financial mess we need to ensure we also deliver the best value for taxpayers.''
Cr Sutherland said it was his understanding the State Government was reviewing all projects promised by the previous government.
``I was told as late as Friday that the premier is supporting this project, so I'm putting my faith in that.''
He said if current plans were altered to remove one or more of the planned stations, the feasibility of the project would be put in jeopardy.
``It stands as a package so if you start playing around with it, it would change the figures,'' he said.
``I can't see that it would save the State Government that much money, given that three-quarters of the project is being funded by the Federal Government.''
The council is contributing $105 million, the Federal Government is contributing $742 million and the State Government is putting in $300 million, plus $120 million of land.
State Member for Redcliffe Scott Driscoll said nothing had been put to him to suggest there were any changes to the project and any speculation was just that. Federal Member for Petrie Yvette D'Ath said she had received no advice of any change to the project from the State Government.
``We remain fully committed to the vital project. The community has waited long enough and we just need to get on with it,'' Ms D'Ath said.
The Herald contacted Premier Campbell Newman but did not get a response.
Transport Minister Scott Emerson has dodged direct questions about the State Governments intentions. He instead issued a statement saying he has to "deliver the best value for taxpayers".
Source: Quest Newspapers
This article first appeared on www.couriermail.com.au
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2020 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.