Council needs to fast-track rail before gridlock
First train ride re-enacted for Queensland Rail's 150th birthday
Nambour a better option: Woombye anti-rail stabling group
South west Queensland pushes for more rail services for cattle
Tilt Trains set for a major overhaul
Ipswich celebrates heritage at Rail Museum on Open Day
Two rail lines earmarked for northern Australia
The $55.8 million dual gauge rail line from Acacia Ridge to Bromelton remains unfinished
Police investigate if fallen powerlines on Gold Coast train line work of vandals
Sourcing critical railway upgrade funding needs cool heads and smart solutions
DETERIORATING road-over-rail bridges in southeast Queensland have been closed because of safety concerns while independent investigations are ordered.
Residents are also concerned about the impact these changes have on emergency services.
Bridges at Frederick St and Alderley Ave, Alderley, and Herbert St, Ipswich, were closed in the past months and a bridge at Boundary Rd at Dakabin had its load limit reduced at the start of the month.
Two other bridges are open but are subject to investigations.
Four traffic controllers are stationed at the Dakabin bridge 24 hours a day and have been redirecting heavy vehicles since June 22.
"These bridges have been closed due to safety concerns," a spokesman for Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson confirmed.
A load limit was first put in place at the Dakabin bridge in October last year but following an independent assessment "engaged by Queensland Rail" the limit was reduced from four tonnes to two tonnes on July 1.
The future of all the bridges now hinges on the findings of an "independent assessment ... (that) will guide the future of these bridges," the spokesman said.
The spokesman acknowledged that the traffic controlling at Dakabin was a "short-term solution".
All five timber road-over-rail bridges are more than 50 years old, QR confirmed.
Queensland Rail could not provide a definite time frame for permanent repairs to the Dakabin bridge.
Dakabin resident Kevin Ball, 65, lodged a complaint about the bridge with The Courier-Mail's Traffic Hot Spots campaign after a traffic controller at the bridge told him a fire truck, with its lights flashing and sirens blaring, had been turned away because it "well and truly exceeded" the two-tonne limit.
Mr Ball argued that precious minutes had been wasted while firefighters were forced to detour up to 2km.
"This is the major thoroughfare for motorists to get through, from the freeway to the northern suburbs, like Warner and Everton Park," Mr Ball said.
"It could be life-threatening and if anything serious happened there would be blue murder."
Mr Ball was infuriated that Queensland Rail was spending money employing several traffic controllers to guard the bridge around the clock.
This article first appeared on www.couriermail.com.au
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2020 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.