Public Transport Victoria forum hears call for more Maryborough train services
State Government Commits to Developing Rail Infrastructure for Victoria
Horsham residents to be quizzed about future use of dormant rail corridor land
No choppers here: Malcolm Turnbull takes the train to Geelong
Opposition Leader Matthew Guy backs Melbourne Airport rail link
Jail time for train threats to Vline Staff
Premier Daniel Andrews hears efforts to address Central Goldfields disadvantage, push for more Maryborough trains
The Inland Rail Link Melbourne to Brisbane a Similar Case as the RAA's Bendigo - Geelong Rail Link
North-West Rail Alliance urges more council support amid push for return of Mildura passenger rail
Grampians Rail Trail: Shire calls for community to step up and manage facility
THE Public Transport Users Association has accused Metro Trains of "poor planning" after extra time had to be spent to finish works on the Glen Waverley line.
Trains returned to the line last Monday after the July 7-15 closure of the line for upgrading and maintenance works. But Metro found that it had to shut down the line from 8pm last Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday to complete the work.
The state government had said the works would add only 12 minutes to travel time for commuters as they used buses between Burnley and Glen Waverley stations.
PTUA president Daniel Bowen said "poor planning" had led to extra time being needed to finish the work and for longer than expected travel on replacement buses.
He said users had reported a much longer journey. "In peak hours, the closure of the line led to long travel times - up to an extra 45 minutes. "In some cases passengers gave up and worked from home on some of the days the line was closed."
Mr Bowen said that while commuters appreciated that upgrades were necessary to improve the speed and reliability of public transport, good planning was vital. "There must be enough information provided, enough staff on the ground to help, enough replacement buses to cater for crowds."
Metro Trains spokeswoman Geraldine Mitchell said last week's night closures were necessary to finish renewing the track. "We've pushed as hard as we can to get it done as quickly as possible, but without these three extra nights, we wouldn't have met our deadline."
This article first appeared on www.monashweekly.com.au
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2020 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.