Arrium to mothball Southern Iron operations that include Peculiar Knob mine in SA
Jobs to go as power stations, mine close, railway suspended
Viterra secures rail services with Genesee and Wyoming Australia for movement of grain across South Australia
Multitrip tickets for Adelaide public transport to be invalid soon
Viterra announces an end to rail freight in the Riverland leaving grain growers with no train transport
Adelaide trains disrupted between Woodville and city after death on rail track at Brompton
Alinta Energy to close power stations at Port Augusta and coal mine at Leigh Creek
Report finds inadequate railway works led to 2013 derailment in outback SA
Seaford rail line: Section of faulty cable to be replaced after wires snap a second time
Serco puts The Ghan, Indian Pacific up for sale
An investigation has been launched into the cause of an electrical fault that shut down the Seaford and Tonsley passenger railway lines in Adelaide this week.
Electric train services were restored about 7:00pm on Friday, nearly 36 hours after a circuit breaker failed at the Lonsdale substation.
It left hundreds of passengers stranded and southern suburbs commuters without a train service on Thursday and Friday.
The SA rail commissioner has launched an investigation into the outage, which is the latest in a string of disruptions and closures since the line was extended and electrified in 2013.
An initial report revealed two circuit breakers attached to the primary and back-up electrical feeds were the cause of the fault.
Department of Transport spokeswoman Caroline Kelly defended the length of time it took to fix the problem and said safety came first.
"It's very, very complicated infrastructure," she said.
"It's not easy to get on top of something like this and there are a lot of risks involved if you go in gung-ho, so we really had to be careful.
"The next phase now for us is to look at the investigation and to see what exactly has caused this failure so that we can make sure it doesn't happen again."
Commuters offered a free ride as compensationThe State Government said it would offer a free train ride to commuters next week to compensate for the recent problems. Details will be announced in coming days.
Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan said he believed the problem had been rectified, but with a full weekend of sport fixtures in the CBD at Adelaide Oval, contingency plans were in place.
"Trying to find extra buses to subsidise the train network can be a challenge," Mr Mullighan said.
"That's less of an issue over the weekend, so should the unexpected happen, we're confident we can get those substitute bus services up and running."
Tens of thousands of people are expected to travel to the city for the AFL match between the Adelaide Crows and Freemantle on Saturday, and the A-League Grand Final between Adelaide United and Sydney Wanderers on Sunday.
This article first appeared on www.abc.net.au
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2019 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.