Response to Austrains' announcement of a C30 tank and C30T
An Announcement from Austrains - SDS acquisition
Connecting loco and tender - Hornby Top Tips
Trainorama 830 class 847 review
Under the Portuguese Sun - Tree planting
Bachmann new GWR Earl Class review
Reconnecting with a childhood hobby
James May urges nation to 'save Hornby' as shares plunge 62%
Hornby boss quits after third profit warning in five months
Statement from Ixion Model Railways Ltd
With the impending move coming up, I've made the observation that most bedrooms are 10X10 or smaller. So after numerous tries, this is what I've come up with for an 8X10.
Before you look at it, here are the biggest mistakes I've made with this layout.
(1) Inadequate isle width. Not much I can do about this one without making the other mistakes again. All isles are 16" wide. Not enough to put the layout on the operating circuit, but wide enough that I could have two or three people over.
(2) Not enough workbench space or a good spot for programming track and computer with JMRI. This one's been fixed by making the whole wall work area. The track height will be at the top of the sears tool chest with my workbench surface sitting 4" above that. Blow is where I'll put the air compressor and a couple of cabinet lowers for bulkier tools. the rest will probably be empty space or indented shelving so I don't bang my feet. Cabinet uppers will be mounted above the workbench off of the benchwork supports. The computer has its own spot on the other side of the room.
(3) Too much layout for the aisle width. This been solved by eliminating any extra decks. Not that I coule do it in this small a space anyways.
(4) A really bad job with table joints. This one's been partially fixed with the installation of some HO Gapmasters. The rest of it will be fixed when I have the sections apart and can router out the room to adhere a piece of hardboard carved to match the cross-section profile
(5) Horrible wire organization. I already started addressing this before I knew we were moving. All the sub busses are at the front edge of the layout so there isn't as much moving stuff to find a short. All new sections will have the fascia mounted on hinges and magnetic cabinet latches to hold it closed with the wiring nestled in the resulting trough. If I need to get to the wiring, flip it down, fix it, and close it back up. Not to mention LABELS, LABELS, LABELS!!!!!!!
Things I did right on this layout.
(1) Adequate staging. Repeated on this version by having staging cover one wall and sit underneath the workbench. I will probably end up using a compound ladder for staging once I get to it.
(2) Digitrax DCC with radio cabs for mainline crews and a tethered throttle for the yard guys. used a Zepher on this layout, may or may not upgrade to an Evolution system. Probably will, the Zephyr's roster list fills up way to fast.
(3) Trackwork to support operations for my prototype
(4) Room for engine terminal. This layout would have had room for a 90' turntable, 3-stall roundhouse, and a small steam/diesel service are. I'll have the service area on this one and the wye for turning locomotive around so I don't have to touch them. A reasonable compromise I reckon
Anyways, I still have a while yet, so the next goal is to start sorting through and getting rid of enough stuff to where all the tubs and boxes fit under the 4X8. Comment below and let me know what you think. Image attached.
This article first appeared on model-railroad-hobbyist.com
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2019 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.