Partial privatisation studies included in DB restructuring
The Next Federal Election and Passenger and Freight Rail
Transport and Logistics symposium to gauge railway link
Rail gets another CRC. Third time lucky?
Chinese high speed rail should confine the XPT to history
Hendy heads to NR
Urban rail news in brief - July 2015
Inland rail a trifecta for Toowoomba region: mayor
The rail line affected by the freight train derailment in Central Victoria late Thursday night should be re-opened by Sunday afternoon, the Chief Executive of Freight Australia, Mr Marinus van Onselen, said today.
Fifteen of the 36 wagons on the train were derailed. Six of the wagons were left on their side and nine were upright. The locomotive partially derailed. The derailment occurred at Tarnagulla, near Bendigo.
There were no injuries and passenger services are not affected. The train was carrying grain to the Port of Geelong.
Work crews have been clearing the site and repairing the tracks. An investigation is under way, but it is too early to identify the precise cause.
Mr van Onselen said Freight Australia regretted any inconvenience at a time when the derailment rate was the lowest in the network’s history and record volumes of freight being transported. The derailment rate had been progressively coming down since the State Government sold the network to Freight Australia in the 1999 privatisation. Since the privatization, Freight Australia had re-invested all its earnings in the network.
But he added that the State rail infrastructure was badly in need of modernization and welcomed this week’s announcement by the Federal Government that there would be a substantial funding boost for rail networks.
Enquiries: Michael Smith
0411 055 306
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2020 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.