Response to Austrains' announcement of a C30 tank and C30T
An Announcement from Austrains - SDS acquisition
Connecting loco and tender - Hornby Top Tips
Trainorama 830 class 847 review
Under the Portuguese Sun - Tree planting
Bachmann new GWR Earl Class review
Reconnecting with a childhood hobby
James May urges nation to 'save Hornby' as shares plunge 62%
Hornby boss quits after third profit warning in five months
Statement from Ixion Model Railways Ltd
Although the "In the Meantime" layout is supposed to be temporary, it's looking more and more like it may end up a permanent layout. So I've decided to go ahead and actually start working on it to make it look more permanent. This first picture shows a problem right off. Because of the way the track is laid out, there is a large blank area right in front. Now adding another industry right there would totally block the view of the turnouts and hand throws right behind. Making a town with stores and people wouldn't look right as this is supposed to be an entirely industrial area.
After much thought, and talking it over with a good friend, we decided an abandoned, demolished factory would look cool right there, with buried ties and track in front close to the aisle. The walls would only be partly still up so they wouldn't block the view.
I started by making the foundation using embossed concrete block, glued to .250 strip styrene. To that I glued a piece of .060 plain sheet styrene. The concrete block sticks up just one course about the height of the floor. Then I used embossed brick sheet to create the walls, inside and outside. I tried to make the remaining walls as random as possible so that meant in some cases, cutting the brick so individual bricks stood out. Tedious but essential. Once I cut the first wall out, using a sharp blade and my handy dandy nibbler, I traced the pattern onto a second brick sheet to make the inside wall. Then to give the walls some dimension, I traced the wall pattern onto a piece of .040 sheet styrene, and glued all three together. That was all for day one.
Day 2 got the front walls weathered with pan pastels. On the factory floor, I used various tools and scrapers to gouge, scrape, distress and otherwise weather the floor and make it look well worn. Then some different colors of craft paints were applied directly to the floor and mixed together in no specific way just to again give the floor a well worn look. Cracks were drawn on using a magic marker and then some ground foam and poly fiber were added to make it look like mother nature was slowly taking over the inside.
As you can see, the glue was still wet when I took this picture. I also was able to add a couple parts of the rear wall facing the layout. Those will get weathered and distressed on Day 3. I am trying to figure out how to create a decent looking pile of rubble that I can place on the factory floor. And also maybe a couple broken I-beams as well.
Day 4 and 5 will most likely be taken up with creating the areas around the factory with the buried ties and rails, lots of overgrowth, more debris and litter and anything else I can think of.
This article first appeared on model-railroad-hobbyist.com
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2020 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.