GE withdraws from $2bn Nigeria rail concession
For the first time, high-speed rail arrives in Africa
Morocco inaugurates Tangier-Casablanca high-speed rail line
Wegh Group invests in Mozambique sleeper plant
Nigeria plans railway northwards to Niger
Transnet looks abroad
Balking miners jeopardise $2.8 billion Mozambican coal rail
[MA] The official inauguration of Morocco’s first high speed line
Kenyan parents traveling with children find comfort, safety in SGR trains
Longest train heralds manganese export drive
The United National Transport Union (Untu) has branded the trains of embattled Passenger Rail Agency of SA (Prasa) as “a disaster waiting to happen” and accused the government of ignoring the red flags.
The union said on Monday it was in the process of launching a court bid to force Prasa to adhere to safety standards.
Untu general secretary Steve Harris said more than 50% of the signals used by train crews were out of order because of theft and vandalism.
“Between January 11 and June 30, more than 320 000 manual train authorisations had been issued by Prasa. The number keeps on increasing, and there is no indication that Prasa is even attempting to normalise the situation,” said Steve Harris, general secretary of the United National Transport Union.
This article first appeared on www.iol.co.za
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2018 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.