Arrium to mothball Southern Iron operations that include Peculiar Knob mine in SA
Jobs to go as power stations, mine close, railway suspended
Viterra secures rail services with Genesee and Wyoming Australia for movement of grain across South Australia
Multitrip tickets for Adelaide public transport to be invalid soon
Viterra announces an end to rail freight in the Riverland leaving grain growers with no train transport
Adelaide trains disrupted between Woodville and city after death on rail track at Brompton
Alinta Energy to close power stations at Port Augusta and coal mine at Leigh Creek
Report finds inadequate railway works led to 2013 derailment in outback SA
Seaford rail line: Section of faulty cable to be replaced after wires snap a second time
Serco puts The Ghan, Indian Pacific up for sale
Commuter train schedules were thrown into disarray after a quarter of Adelaide's train fleet was withdrawn from Friday peak hour services.
All nine of TransAdelaide's 2000 class trains – built in the 1980s – were taken out of service at 5pm, upsetting travel plans for an estimated 1000 commuters on the Noarlunga and Grange lines.
TransAdelaide said weekend services had not been affected but an announcement on whether the trains would remain out of action, resulting in further disruptions, would be made later this morning.
Problems with the 2000 class trains were raised after the driver of one of the trains complained of vibrations on Thursday and inspections on Friday showed the tail shaft had malfunctioned.
A tail shaft transfers power from the engine to the wheels.
"The trains were withdrawn from service because of concerns about their safe operation," TransAdelaide spokesman Bill Watson said.
Passengers left stranded on Friday evening by the cancellation of six trains were critical of the way TransAdelaide handled the service interruptions.
"TransAdelaide handled the situation very poorly," bank officer and regular commuter David Coombe, of Hallett Cove, said.
"There was no explanation why some trains were cancelled or any apologies for the disruption to services."
Stephanie Bostock, a 23-year-old administration officer, was also caught in the confusion.
"People were getting angry and upset at the lack of information. Some thought there had been an accident on the line and wondered if any trains should be running," the Noarlunga resident said.
Mr Watson said yesterday the passengers' criticism was unfounded.
"I don't accept that passengers were left in the dark," he said.
"Information was provided over the PA and by staff on the platforms."
Maintenance tests during the weekend would determine what needs to be done to ensure the trains' safe operation.
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2021 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.