Community takes fight for rail to the Supreme Court
Rail corridor between Glenfield and Macarthur earmarked for medium density
Rail Trail boost to tourism - and local economy
Newcastle rail case may be long wait
Save Our Rail questions semantics argument over rail line cut
North West Rail Link corridor to extend through to Marsden Park
Camurra West to Weemelah Line Booked Out of Use
Rail Trail full steam ahead
John Holland Commissions Electronic Train Orders
Closure of Newcastle rail stations not technically a closure of whole line, State Government lawyer says
The Berejiklian government and rail union are heading for a showdown with the arrival of the first of $1.6 billion worth of new intercity trains from South Korea next month, due to claims that they have been "specifically designed to get rid of guards".
The first two of 55 intercity trains on order will arrive at Wollongong's Port Kembla on or about December 17, about eight months later than originally planned.
Transport Minister Andrew Constance and an artist's impression of an intercity train. CREDIT:JANIE BARRETT
Commuters will have to wait until at least March to ride on the first of the new double-deck trains from Sydney to the Central Coast and Newcastle because they are required to undergo rigorous testing on local tracks before they are permitted to carry passengers.
Their arrival just days before Christmas is set to ignite a battle between the government and unions about whether the state intends to keep guards on the new trains in the longer term.
Rail Tram and Bus Union state secretary Alex Claassens said the new trains had been "specifically designed to get rid of guards altogether" and make them driver-only.
"We believe this train is inherently unsafe set up the way it is at the moment, and we will do everything we can within our power to ensure the travelling public of NSW are safe. We will trial and test it but we won't allow passengers to get on it if it is not safe," he said.
An artist's impression of the interior of a new intercity train.
Mr Claassens said roles that guards performed on other trains in the state's fleet, such as making special announcements and responding to passengers via help points in carriages, would now be carried out on the new intercity trains by drivers or remotely from an operations centre.
But Transport Minister Andrew Constance said he wanted to reassure passengers that the new intercity trains would have "both a driver and a customer service guard on board when it comes into service next year".
"We have no plans to change this staffing arrangement on the new trains," he said.
However, his assurances have failed to dispel staff fears that guards will eventually be removed. Mr Claassens said the way the new trains had been engineered meant that the guards would "not be in a meaningful role and therefore will not last".
The state's transport agency said the new trains would have a "dedicated and enclosed crew cabin which the customer service guard would travel in".
"Customer service guards will be visible, coming out from the crew cabins, and walking through the carriages and monitoring platforms to provide customer service and assistance with boarding and alighting," Transport for NSW said. "Our customers will benefit most during express services where there is more time between stations for the guard to be in the carriage."
This article first appeared on www.smh.com.au
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2020 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.