Push Gathers Steam to Restore a Historic Loco
J515 Updates from the Seymour Railway Heritage Centre
Rare Arnott's biscuit van restored
During February and March, work has continued on a number of fronts at the site.
Work has focussed mostly on preparation and installation of earthworks and footings for the new additions to the Railway Institute. Other works continued on the interior of the original building as part of its restoration.
These additions are a new Layout gallery on the rear tennis court and a new amenities/Childrens area to the east of the existing building.
Look out for details in a future update of this Childrens area as plans to date are very exciting.
Loading dock and slab for storage room.
Storage room slab shortly after pouring.
This was the first permanent addition to the site - an exciting day!
Looking 'through' the new amenities area to the original building from the Childrens area.
The green door will lead to the 'linkway' between the original building and the new addition.
Public gallery, looking through shop and reception area to ticketed gallery (new entrance to the left).
Internal asbestos cladding removed and replaced by modern material but leaving visible studwork to allow the original construction of the room to be read.
A view from the new entrance towards the Childrens area with Bathurst Railway Station visible beyond.
This part of the site has had substantial earthworks to allow all floors of the new Museum to be at the same level, improving accessibility.
Looking from the 1949 extension towards the rear tennis court, site of the new Layout gallery.
This is the only opening added to the existing building and will provide easy, level access to the Layout gallery.
Foundations poured to support the portal frame of the Layout gallery, which will be an interesting combination of construction methods (more in future updates).
Some of the Heritage Conservation work being undertaken at the front of the 1918 addition to the original building.
At a different site, work has commenced on the restoration of the Main West model railway.
Compare this image with the one in the last newsletter.
Here we can see a preliminary test fitting of the modules.
(There will be adjustments made for the track toward the middle of the picture.)
Watch this spaceThe Bathurst Rail Museum will continue to keep you updated on the Museum's content development in future newsletters.
An aerial view of the site, with Havannah street towards the top of the image.
This article first appeared on yoursay.bathurst.nsw.gov.au
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2019 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.