Arrium to mothball Southern Iron operations that include Peculiar Knob mine in SA
Jobs to go as power stations, mine close, railway suspended
Viterra secures rail services with Genesee and Wyoming Australia for movement of grain across South Australia
Multitrip tickets for Adelaide public transport to be invalid soon
Viterra announces an end to rail freight in the Riverland leaving grain growers with no train transport
Adelaide trains disrupted between Woodville and city after death on rail track at Brompton
Alinta Energy to close power stations at Port Augusta and coal mine at Leigh Creek
Report finds inadequate railway works led to 2013 derailment in outback SA
Seaford rail line: Section of faulty cable to be replaced after wires snap a second time
Serco puts The Ghan, Indian Pacific up for sale
Victor Harbor’s crumbling Granite Island causeway is getting a $20 million cash injection, which the State Government says will deliver a “permanent solution” for the tourist drawcard.
The iconic horse-drawn tram service has been suspended since January, following concerns about the causeway’s structural integrity.
Premier Steven Marshall said on Monday the causeway had been a “key piece of tourism infrastructure in our state for more than 150 years” and was in desperate need of repair.
The $20 million to be included in next week’s State Budget comes as part of what the Government is spruiking as a record $1.1 billion regional roads and infrastructure spend.
Mr Marshall labelled it the largest package of its kind in SA history.
Temporary repairs are underway to enable the popular horse-drawn tram service to be reinstated, an attraction Mr Marshall says is the “jewel in the crown” of local tourism.
The causeway linking Victor Harbor to Granite Island dropped in one section — visible in the middle of this photo — on New Year’s Day. Picture: Gary Juleff“The Granite Island Causeway is a South Australian icon and a tourism drawcard for Victor Harbor and the Fleurieu Peninsula region,” he said.
“The State Liberal Government will be investing $20 million towards providing a permanent solution to ensure the Granite Island Causeway remains a premier tourism attraction.”
A study is underway to determine the best fix for the causeway.
Work on the permanent fix will begin in 2019-20 and will be undertaken across two years.
Major concerns about the causeway were raised when a pylon partially gave way on New Year’s Day.
The surface is currently uneven, but the repair work will restore the causeway’s structural integrity. Picture: Gary JuleffThe horse-drawn tram was suspended, then reinstated, but stopped again the same month.
Local Liberal MP David Basham said the investment would help secure the long-term future of tourism in Victor Harbor.
“So many local businesses rely on tourism dollars to make their livelihoods, support their families and create local jobs,” he said.
“Securing the future of the Granite Island Causeway goes a long way to securing the future of the tourism industry in the region.”
Victor Harbor Council has previously called for the entire causeway to be rebuilt.
This article first appeared on www.adelaidenow.com.au
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2020 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.