Arrium to mothball Southern Iron operations that include Peculiar Knob mine in SA
Jobs to go as power stations, mine close, railway suspended
Viterra secures rail services with Genesee and Wyoming Australia for movement of grain across South Australia
Multitrip tickets for Adelaide public transport to be invalid soon
Viterra announces an end to rail freight in the Riverland leaving grain growers with no train transport
Adelaide trains disrupted between Woodville and city after death on rail track at Brompton
Alinta Energy to close power stations at Port Augusta and coal mine at Leigh Creek
Report finds inadequate railway works led to 2013 derailment in outback SA
Seaford rail line: Section of faulty cable to be replaced after wires snap a second time
Serco puts The Ghan, Indian Pacific up for sale
Australia's last horse-drawn trams stop running to South Australia's Granite Island after a pylon on the pier leading to the popular tourist spot collapses.
The tram which runs in Victor Harbor, south of Adelaide, was closed after a pylon on the pier broke off and fell into the water.
City of Victor Harbor chief executive Victoria MacKirdy said the council cancelled trams late yesterday afternoon after a driver noticed the broken strut had caused a dip in the causeway.
"Then when they went back over again they could feel the tilt of the tram and we were very concerned by it.
"So that's when we had one of our staff members go out, they had a look at one of the trams going over it, could see the lean of the tram and that's when we cancelled all the trams."
People can still walk across the causeway, which is owned by the State Government's Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI).
"Because of the height and the weight of the trams with a lot of passengers on the trams, they are actually leaning to the side, which is very unsafe," Ms MacKirdy said.
She said the causeway was "significantly old and in need of repair".
"We are working with DPTI on a regular basis doing maintenance but it needs to have a significant overhaul," she said.
Ms MacKirdy said three trams had been operating since December 26.
"It's certainly not good in our peak season," she said.
Victor Harbor Mayor Moira Jenkins has cut short a holiday to Kangaroo Island to deal with the situation.
"The tram is an iconic part of tourism in Victor Harbor," she said.
"Once we know it's safe, tram services can resume, but we're not going to put anyone at risk by putting a tram across when it's not safe."
The original tramway dates back to 1894 and was revived in 1986 to mark 150 years since South Australia was founded.
About 100,000 people catch the tram each year.
Victor Harbor's population swells over summer with holiday-makers and day visitors.
DPTI has not responded to a request for comment.
This article first appeared on www.abc.net.au
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2019 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.