Arrium to mothball Southern Iron operations that include Peculiar Knob mine in SA
Jobs to go as power stations, mine close, railway suspended
Viterra secures rail services with Genesee and Wyoming Australia for movement of grain across South Australia
Multitrip tickets for Adelaide public transport to be invalid soon
Viterra announces an end to rail freight in the Riverland leaving grain growers with no train transport
Adelaide trains disrupted between Woodville and city after death on rail track at Brompton
Alinta Energy to close power stations at Port Augusta and coal mine at Leigh Creek
Report finds inadequate railway works led to 2013 derailment in outback SA
Seaford rail line: Section of faulty cable to be replaced after wires snap a second time
Serco puts The Ghan, Indian Pacific up for sale
A new concrete railway bridge over Brighton Road would be an eyesore and divide the community, the local mayor says, as residents rallied in protest over the development.
Crowds gathered at the Hove Railway Station crossing on Sunday, opposing a plan to build a $300m rail-over bridge on Brighton Road. They urged the State Government to support a rail-under option.
Residents protest the State Government’s planned concrete bridge over Brighton Road at Hove railway station. Picture: Dixie Sulda
At the protest, Holdfast Bay Mayor Amanda Wilson said the 1.5km bridge would “dissect” Brighton, “destroy homes” and the community.
“It will be an eyesore for our community, it will divide our community, and we’re concerned it will devalue one of the most premier beautiful beachside suburbs in Australia by having this monstrosity through it.”
She encouraged residents to write to Transport Minister Corey Wingard to oppose the bridge option.
It was revealed earlier this year that sixteen residents who live in single-storey Housing SA units next to the Seaford line received a relocation letter in January.
Residents protest new State Government development at Hove railway station which would see a large concrete bridge on Brighton Road., Picture: Dixie Sulda
Lyn Townsend became emotional speaking in front of the group. Holdfast Bay Mayor Amanda Wilson consoled her. Picture: Dixie Sulda
An emotional Lyn Townsend, speaking through tears, said she received a letter from the State Government in December to say her rental home would be compulsorily acquired in the project. She’s lived in the area for 40 years.
“It said you’ve got until the end of May, maybe June at the very latest to vacate the premises and to leave,” Ms Townsend said.
“I don’t drive. everything that I require is here, within walking distance, all my friends, all my family, my children grew up here. I don’t want to move.”
This article first appeared on www.adelaidenow.com.au
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2021 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.