Public Transport Victoria forum hears call for more Maryborough train services
State Government Commits to Developing Rail Infrastructure for Victoria
Horsham residents to be quizzed about future use of dormant rail corridor land
No choppers here: Malcolm Turnbull takes the train to Geelong
Opposition Leader Matthew Guy backs Melbourne Airport rail link
Jail time for train threats to Vline Staff
Premier Daniel Andrews hears efforts to address Central Goldfields disadvantage, push for more Maryborough trains
The Inland Rail Link Melbourne to Brisbane a Similar Case as the RAA's Bendigo - Geelong Rail Link
North-West Rail Alliance urges more council support amid push for return of Mildura passenger rail
Grampians Rail Trail: Shire calls for community to step up and manage facility
Late design changes to the Metro Tunnel could see the cost of the project soar even higher than its $3 billion budget blowout, with the opposition calling on the Auditor-General to investigate.
In a letter to the state's financial watchdog, opposition transport infrastructure spokesman David Davis claims last-minute government-ordered changes to signal boxes and vents on the project have already contributed to the $3 billion blowout.
But he also says the government has under-estimated the power needed to run high-capacity trains through the $11 billion tunnel, and upgrades needed as a result could send costs soaring.
Metro Tunnel's first tunnel-boring machine which ground to a halt for three days.CREDIT:JASON SOUTH
Mr Davis says the tunnel's builders, the Cross Yarra Partnership consortium, are concerned about the government's refusal to moved on the project's 2025 completion date.
He warns of "likely additional costs" stemming from the government's demand to deliver the project a year before the 2026 election, despite "increasing complications due to its own poor scoping".
The tunnel-boring machines excavating the twin nine-kilometre tunnels were stopped in their tracks last Monday, as the dispute between the construction consortium and the government over who will cover the cost blowout escalated.
By Wednesday evening the machines had been switched back on, but legal talks are continuing and a deal over the money may not be struck until next year.
Opposition transport infrastructure spokesman David Davis.CREDIT:CHRIS HOPKINS
Mr Davis saysthe government's original plans for the power infrastructure needed to run high-capacity trains through the tunnel were inadequate.
"Traction power for the trains appears to have been under-scoped/underspecified," he writes in the letter. "The additional electricity required for suitable upgrades may well require substation upgrades. The responsibility for these specifications rests entirely with government.
"More substantial specifications will require further supplementation of the project’s budget. This, I am informed, is likely on top of the $3 billion cost overrun already discussed publicly."
This article first appeared on www.theage.com.au
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2020 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.