Tunnel experts warn Premier Daniel Andrews on East West Link
East West Link battle justifies need for non-partisan body on infrastructure
Melbourne Airport Drive extension opened
Atlas 5 sets sail to orbit
Melbourne's first double-decker bus ready to rumble when Regional Rail Link opens
$500m Abrams tanks in the wars
Woman trapped under bus in Sydney's CBD dies
We're still going to miss the bus
Linking Melbourne Authority to be kept despite having no roads to build
Burgers in a rooftop train carriage? Easey's burger joint to open in Collingwood
The full environmental and community impacts of the North East Link remain unknown because approval was based on a draft plan, not the final design, the councils launching legal action against the approval say.
Three suburban councils confirmed on Tuesday afternoon they would launch Supreme Court action against the Planning Minister's approval for the road, which at $15.8 billion will be the most expensive transport project in Victorian history.
Councils opposed elements of the North East Link because it will cause impacts on 53 hectares of open space, the loss of nearly 800 jobs and a "protracted construction period" that will be so invasive that many homes will be acquired.CREDIT:NORTH EAST LINK AUTHORITY
Banyule, Boroondara and Whitehorse councils argue the draft design Victorian Planning Minister Richard Wynne signed off on was not sufficiently developed to have been lawfully approved.
“The process undertaken here [was] akin to [a] council approving a planning application without having received plans that demonstrate what might be built,” Boroondara mayor Cynthia Watson said.
The three north-east councils voted on Monday night to proceed with the legal action challenging Mr Wynne’s decision last year to approve a “reference” design – an early draft of what the road might look like – without understanding the toll road’s final plan.
A fourth council, Manningham, will meet on Tuesday night to decide if it will join the action. One councillor who asked not to be named said Manningham was likely to vote in favour of joining the court action.
The councils argue that, by the time a design is finalised for the road, there will not be the proper opportunity for locals affected to provide any input on the potential impacts.
“The full extent of environmental and community impacts remain unknown as no actual design was available for assessment,” the three councils said in a statement.
"Other than in the most general terms, nobody really knows what is proposed to be built. Too much about the project has been left to be determined at a later time, which excludes the community from the process. This is not the way this process should work."
This article first appeared on www.theage.com.au
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2020 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.