Public Transport Victoria forum hears call for more Maryborough train services
State Government Commits to Developing Rail Infrastructure for Victoria
Horsham residents to be quizzed about future use of dormant rail corridor land
No choppers here: Malcolm Turnbull takes the train to Geelong
Opposition Leader Matthew Guy backs Melbourne Airport rail link
Jail time for train threats to Vline Staff
Premier Daniel Andrews hears efforts to address Central Goldfields disadvantage, push for more Maryborough trains
The Inland Rail Link Melbourne to Brisbane a Similar Case as the RAA's Bendigo - Geelong Rail Link
North-West Rail Alliance urges more council support amid push for return of Mildura passenger rail
Grampians Rail Trail: Shire calls for community to step up and manage facility
The Overland train service between Melbourne and Adelaide will run for three more years, with the Victorian government committing funding to the service.
The interstate rail service, operated by Journey Beyond, was thought to have run its last service earlier in 2020 as South Australia withdrew funding and the Victorian government was yet to renew funding beyond June 30, 2020. The service has not been running since March due to coronavirus (COVID-19) border closures.
Regional communities along the route had been lobbying for funding to be committed to the route to be able to access services in Melbourne and Adelaide.
Member for Lowan Emma Kealy said that the decision was a testament to the community’s support of the service.
“This news is testament to the amazing community support for the campaign to get this crucial service funded. It has been a long, hard road to get to this point, and I am so thrilled that the people of our region will continue to have access to this much-needed rail service, as they deserve to,” Kealy said.
“I am proud to stand with the communities who have campaigned so hard to ensure this railway icon, and western Victoria’s only passenger rail service, continues for years to come.”
A summit was held by supporters of the route on June 19, with support from local government and convened by the National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide.
Reports suggest that the Victorian government has provided $3.8 million in funding for the service to continue.
This article first appeared on www.railexpress.com.au
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2020 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.