Community takes fight for rail to the Supreme Court
Rail corridor between Glenfield and Macarthur earmarked for medium density
Rail Trail boost to tourism - and local economy
Newcastle rail case may be long wait
Save Our Rail questions semantics argument over rail line cut
North West Rail Link corridor to extend through to Marsden Park
Camurra West to Weemelah Line Booked Out of Use
Rail Trail full steam ahead
John Holland Commissions Electronic Train Orders
Closure of Newcastle rail stations not technically a closure of whole line, State Government lawyer says
YOU wouldn’t know the rail had been saved.
Less than a week after a Supreme Court judge told the state government it couldn’t begin work removing the Newcastle rail line without an act of parliament, contractors have been busy getting rid of everything but the tracks.
Since Boxing Day, workers have deactivated the three level crossings between Hamilton and Newcastle stations and, despite the court order preventing the removal of ‘‘rail infrastructure’’, have also conducted ‘‘rail track, signalling, and excavation work’’, a Transport for NSW spokeswoman says.
And it’s not over yet. On Sunday and Monday, work on the rail track and signals will continue.
It includes finalising work on the crossover tracks west of the Maitland Road overbridge, continued installation of new signalling cables, continued installation of galvanised steel troughing and throw screens at the Maitland Road overbridge, and the installation of track buffer stops, drainage, CCTV, low-voltage cables and security fencing within the rail corridor.
Similar work will continue during the next week until Hamilton Station reopens on January 5.
Save Our Rail president Joan Dawson said the extent of the work showed the government was being ‘‘provocative’’.
‘‘I think this is a deliberate attempt to up the ante on costs ... the costs of the contracts were mentioned in court and I think this is one way of forcing the issue.’’
The government obviously thinks it will win its appeal, otherwise why would it throw away all this money.’’
Ms Dawson was seeking legal advice over the work being done.
Questions to Transport Minister Gladys Berejiklian were kicked to the department, with a spokeswoman saying the shuttle bus service was ‘‘performing well’’.
Ms Berejiklian will appeal against the Supreme Court decision.
This article first appeared on www.theherald.com.au
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2019 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.