Arrium to mothball Southern Iron operations that include Peculiar Knob mine in SA
Jobs to go as power stations, mine close, railway suspended
Viterra secures rail services with Genesee and Wyoming Australia for movement of grain across South Australia
Multitrip tickets for Adelaide public transport to be invalid soon
Viterra announces an end to rail freight in the Riverland leaving grain growers with no train transport
Adelaide trains disrupted between Woodville and city after death on rail track at Brompton
Alinta Energy to close power stations at Port Augusta and coal mine at Leigh Creek
Report finds inadequate railway works led to 2013 derailment in outback SA
Seaford rail line: Section of faulty cable to be replaced after wires snap a second time
Serco puts The Ghan, Indian Pacific up for sale
Train commuters in Adelaide's north-west will have to endure more delays, after the State Government announced the Torrens Rail Junction project completion date has been pushed back by six weeks.
The project involves the removal of three level crossings at Park Terrace, Gibson Street and East Street, and the separation of the freight and passenger rail lines.
Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan apologised to commuters while announcing the revised date today, and said the decision to change it was only made yesterday.
The Outer Harbor and Grange lines will now remain closed until January 15, while a further closure to the Gawler line will occur between Adelaide and Mawson Lakes from November 18 until December 5.
"We apologise for the further inconvenience... it is incredibly regrettable," Mr Mullighan said.
"We know that people in the western suburbs have been extremely patient during the course of these works... the people I talk to say they're frustrated with not being able to catch their regular train to work.
"But they do understand the benefit of this project.
"When services come back online in early January we will also look at introducing a period of free service to reward those customers."
Mr Mullighan said the delayed completion date was agreed on following negotiations with the Australian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC), which operates freight trains on the line.
"We only reached an agreement with ARTC as late as yesterday about how we would schedule the remainder of the works about this project," he said.
"They operate 1,500-metre-long trains of freight and cargo which are extremely sensitive to these sorts of projects and operations.
"They need to make sure they have a safe railway system ... [and] they need to make sure they can keep the economy of South Australia... moving by receiving and delivering freight.
"We've had to work very hard to make sure we can keep their trains running."
No guarantees new deadline will be met, Opposition saysShadow transport minister David Pisoni said he found it hard to believe that Mr Mullighan had only been told about the six-week delay a day ago.
Mr Pisoni said it was more likely the delay had been caused by the State Government's own mismanagement of the project.
"DPTI (Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure) operates in a collection of silos ... it has no formal staged approval processes," he said.
"Unfortunately, the people who pay for that are the taxpayers of South Australia and the commuters who use public transport.
"This is the signs of a tired old government that has lost interest in delivering for South Australians.
"I don't know that South Australians can be confident that, on the 15th of January, the Outer Harbor line will be up and running."
This article first appeared on www.abc.net.au
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2020 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.