Community takes fight for rail to the Supreme Court
Rail corridor between Glenfield and Macarthur earmarked for medium density
Rail Trail boost to tourism - and local economy
Newcastle rail case may be long wait
Save Our Rail questions semantics argument over rail line cut
North West Rail Link corridor to extend through to Marsden Park
Camurra West to Weemelah Line Booked Out of Use
Rail Trail full steam ahead
John Holland Commissions Electronic Train Orders
Closure of Newcastle rail stations not technically a closure of whole line, State Government lawyer says
Less than 6 per cent of the Rail, Tram and Bus Union's (RTBU) 6,000 members in New South Wales voted in favour of calling off industrial action in a text message poll.
Industrial action will begin from tomorrow, when workers enact an overtime ban, meaning timetables will be significantly reduced.
The NSW Government has launched fresh legal action to try to stop the strike, with a Fair Work hearing set down for 3:00pm.
The union had been locked in negotiations with Sydney Trains and the NSW Government for about a fortnight.
They rejected a pay offer last week, but negotiations yesterday produced a new offer, which members subsequently voted on.
'They're all predicting Armageddon'Alex Claassens, NSW secretary of the RTBU, said members were frustrated.
"Unfortunately my members have overwhelmingly decided that the offer on the table is nowhere near good enough and our industrial action will continue so the overtime ban will commence tomorrow and we will also take place on Monday as we talked about," he said.
"We have been saying all along that we needed the Minister to come to the table and put some real positions down so our members are totally frustrated with everything that's been going on.
"I think we all know that the straw that broke the camel's back was the introduction of the [new] timetable."
Mr Claassens said businesses should be allowing their employees to have tomorrow and Monday off work, because of the disruptions.
Time to halve rego, remove tolls
"We have now got to a situation where by virtue of the fact that a few railway workers are having the day off, they're all predicting Armageddon tomorrow," Mr Claassens said.
Months of railway chaosDiscussions are being played out amid several meltdowns on Sydney's railways since a new timetable was unveiled in November.
On December 10, evening peak hour turned into chaos after a fatality on the tracks, with travellers at the busy CBD stations of Town Hall and Wynyard advised to walk to Central, Museum, St James or Martin Place.
The dysfunction climaxed on January 9 when the Harbour City's train network was plagued by widespread delays and cancellations, overcrowded stations and carriages.
Commuters complained about journeys being hours longer than usual and platforms being closed at some stations, while NSW Opposition Leader Luke Foley described the conditions as "third world".
An unexpected spike in sick leave, coupled with the new timetable and stormy conditions have been blamed for the situation, which were described by NSW Transport Minister Andrew Constance as "an act of God".
Earlier this week, 16 people were taken to hospital after a train slammed into a barrier at Richmond Station in Sydney's north west, when it failed to slow down.
That incident has sparked three separate investigations.
This article first appeared on www.abc.net.au
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2019 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.