On 19th May 1933, six enthusiasts met in Sydney and formed the Great Railway Circle of Australia. In May 1936 the name was changed to Australian Railway and Locomotive Historical Society and further changed to Australian Railway Historical Society in 1951.
Membership grew steadily and in 1945 a Division was formed in Victoria. Other Divisions were subsequently formed in the South Australia, Tasmania, Queensland, Western Australia and ACT.
Due to the increasing size and range of activities of the Society, separate companies were formed in each state to take over the assets and liabilities of the Divisions of the unincorporated Society, The Australian Railway Historical Society, New South Division, is a Company Limited by Guarantee. For membership details contact our Bookshop on phone (02) 9379 6633 or our Redfern office on (02) 9699 4595 or fax to (02) 9699 1714.