S 313 at Mile End Loco Depot, Adelaide, South Australia on 22/12/1985.
S 313 (Clyde 61-230) entered service on 24/02/1961 and was named Alfred Deakin and was withdrawn on 14 Dec 1994.
18 S Class were at built 1957-1961 at Clyde Engineering, Granville, Sydney, NSW, Australia.
The S class was based on the Electro-Motive Diesel F7 design and were very similar to the GM12 class then being built by Clyde Engineering for the Commonwealth Railways. They were mechanically similar to the 1952 built double ended B class.
The first order for 10 locomotives, were progressively delivered between August 1957 and February 1958. The first four took the names and numbers of the recently scrapped S class steam locomotives, with all being named after prominent Victorians. An additional eight locomotives were ordered for use on the new North East standard gauge line and delivered between November 1960 and December 1961.
The class were initially used on express passenger trains such as the Intercapital Daylight, Southern Aurora, Spirit of Progress and The Overland, but were also used on fast freights. On the broad gauge they often operated in pairs, while on the standard gauge they usually ran solo] A second 'hostlers' cab was provided at the number two end, but was only used around depots, or to haul empty carriages short distances.
In February 1969 two were destroyed in the Violet Town railway disaster, and were deemed uneconomical to repair and scrapped. In January 1967 S317 was badly damaged in a head on collision with X33 south of Broadford Loop and was returned to Clyde Engineering for rebuilding. In June 1982 S317 was again involved in a fatal accident when it ran into the rear of the Spirit of Progress at Barnawartha, killing the crew.
As more modern locomotives were introduced, those on the standard gauge moved to the broad gauge. Examples would periodically appear on the standard gauge.
Withdrawals commenced in the May 1987. In February 1994 four were sold to West Coast Railway for use on their Melbourne to Warrnambool passenger service. By April 1999 only four remained in the V/Line fleet and even these were only used during periods of high demand] A few have been preserved.
Privatisation brought an upturn in the class' fortunes with some overhauled and as at May 2014 remain in service with CFCL Australia, Pacific National, RailPower and Southern Shorthaul Railroad.