April 4, 2013, 12:37 am
902 at Mile End Loco Depot, Adelaide, Australia on 26/12/1983.
Built in 01/1953 at Islington Shops (0971) (Alt No. UK, EE 1850) as 902, entered service 14/01/1953 scrapped 20/06/1985 at Sims Metal, Gilman
10 A1A-A1A Gross: 1,185 kW (1,590 hp) 128ton 900 class were a class of diesel locomotives built by Islington Railway Workshops for the South Australian Railways between 1951 and 1953.
The 900 class were the first main line diesels operated by the South Australian Railways on their 5'3" Gauge (1600mm) Network. Ten were built at Islington Railway Workshops fitted with English Electric 16SVT engines to replace steam locomotives on the heavily graded Mount Lofty Ranges. They operated both heavy freight trains and passenger services including The Overland. After the arrival of more powerful diesels, they were concentrated on the easier graded lines from Adelaide to Port Pirie and Peterborough.
In March 1978 all were included in the transfer of the South Australian Railways to Australian National. Withdrawals commenced in May 1979 with the last two withdrawn on 18 June 1985 after operating a cement train from Angaston to Dry Creek. Three have been preserved with the other seven scrapped.
Three units have been preserved:
900 Lady Norrie resides at the National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide
907 resides in Tailem Bend under private ownership in derelict condition
909 resides in Tailem Bend under private ownership being standard gauge converted
For more info on 900 Class, goto:-
Copyright of the photo remains with the original author.
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2020 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.