4471 at Lithgow Loco, New South Wales, Australia on 14/10/1990.
4471 was built 08/1966 at AE Goodwin, Granville, Sydney - ALCO DL500B G-3421-11, entered service 11/08/1966 and withdrawn 22/07/2013 at Goulburn Workshops.
100 Co-Co ALCO DL500B Class 44 were built by AE Goodwin, Sydney, Australia from 1955 to 1967.
The locomotives are fitted with Alco 12-251B engines, developing 1343 kW. They were built in two batches, the first 60 between July 1957 and April 1961 and the second 40 between October 1965 and December 1967. The last 40 had Associated Electrical Industries as opposed to General Electric generators and traction motors as well as illuminated segregated number boxes at the No.2 end.
During their career these locomotives have served every part of New South Wales and operated every type of train. They are very similar to the South Australian Railways 930 class.
With driving cabs within both ends, the front (No.1 end) of the locomotive had a rounded nose (however not as round as the Clyde/GM "Bulldog nose" type) and a flat nose at the No.2 end.
Withdrawals started in the late 1980s of some earlier examples in need of rewiring, however many survived into the 1990s with the last being withdrawn in July 1997. The State Rail Authority still had over forty on its books that were auctioned in December 1994.
While most were scrapped, a number saw service with other freight operators. Chicago Freight Car Leasing Australia, Great Northern Rail Services, Independent Rail of Australia, Silverton Rail and Southern Shorthaul Railroad all operated 44s with most ending up with Qube Logistics until their withdrawal in 2014.
A number of preserved examples are main line registered and as well as operating heritage trains, periodically operate services for other operators.
Three are on RailCorp's Heritage and Conservation Register list and now belong to 3801 Limited, the Australian Railway Historical Society, Canberra and the New South Wales Rail Transport Museum.