DA 1431 with Steam Inc Art Deco Delights Express at Awatoto, near Napier, New Zealand on 18/02/2017 on the way to Napier for Anuual Art Deco Weekend..
DA 1431 was built in 1957 at Clyde Eng, Granville, NSW - EMD G12 57/135 (A1A-A1A, livery:NZGR Carnation/Midland Red, with White strips, PR:1425 hp, imported from Australia) entered service 27/04/1957, renumbered c1978 to DA 345,
Written Off 24/03/1988 at Wellington and, preserved at Steam Incorporated Paekakariki and renumbered back to DA 1431.
146 A1A-A1A 1400hp DA Class GM EMD G12 80 ton Locomotives were delivered to NZGR (1067mm Network) from 1955 to 1967. They were built at Three Locations at London, Canada (121); La Grange, USA (15) & Clyde, Granville, Sydney. Australia (10).
DA - the A means American was the largest loco Class in New Zealand History and they only ran in the North Island and were the main replacement Class for Steam in the Island and in the November 1982 began their demise to the end of the decade.
1st 5 were converted to Hump Shunters for Te Rapa, Hamilton in 1971
85 were rebuilt to Class DC GM EMD G22AR Locomotives from 1978. 80 were rebuilt at Clyde, Rosewater, Adelaide, South Australia between 1978-1983 and 5 were rebuilt at Woburn Workshops, Wellington in 1980/1.
Class was withdrawn in 1989 and six are now Heritage Stock.
For more information on Class DA (Gallery & Stock Lists), goto:-