The redhen looks great SARenthusiast, but the scenery looks even more interesting. Great to see layouts with a bit of scenery, seems to be very difficult getting past that bare benchtop stage. Took me a couple of years lol. Once you get started on scenery though it seems to be addictive, especially with all the great products available nowdays. More pics please SARenthusiast!!The scenery is something about the modeling that interests me most. I think South Australia just has that special look to it, the infrastructure, the natural landscapes. My inspiration is the mid north regions of SA. There is so much to work with its great, at the moment I'm experimenting with everything I can to try and get it looking right.
The redhen looks great SARenthusiast, but the scenery looks even more interesting. Great to see layouts with a bit of scenery, seems to be very difficult getting past that bare benchtop stage. Took me a couple of years lol. Once you get started on scenery though it seems to be addictive, especially with all the great products available nowdays. More pics please SARenthusiast!!
Hahaha. South Australian infrastructure. Don't get me started. But no these cracks were accidental and way to big they will be touched up eventually, the layout is only young.You have not seen the roads down my then, some cracks and pot holes you could lose a semi down them.
Put a very rough coat of primer on my G scale TGR Y class loco to help find the problems tonight.
Still a long way to go but it's starting to look a little like the real thing.
They aren't quite on my layout or workbench yet, but I've recently ordered 3 packs of NSW NOFF ore wagons from Bobs Hobbies. I expect them to arrive next Monday.Check the wheels and how they roll, and add some weight. Other than that it is fine.
I only just became aware of their special.....a 6 pack of these wagons for $75-!! That's $12.50 per wagon; not much more than the price of a decent pair of bogies and couplers.
I'm not sure how accurate these Columbia Models wagons are, but given my ability to overlook most flaws of rolling stock, I'm sure I will be happy with a complete train (W44) which I will haul behind my AD60+ a growler and eventually a pair of Auscicion 45s will look good. These wagons will be heavily weathered before they get too far into regular service.
I know they are not within my era (I tend to model around 1982...just pre-"candy" era), but I have a huge degree of modellers licence and work on the principle of: If I want to run something....I bloody-well will!! hahaha
There's no going back now!!!
Several months ago I raised an issue I was having with a Eureka AD60 class I'd bought 2nd hand. It was playing up; the rear unit would not start moving until several speed steps after the front unit.
I've persevered with it and then left it on a siding for a couple of months.
Today I decided to take the plunge. I removed the tops off the 2 motor units and tried to check if there was any difference with the bare motors being used (just in case the plastic "covers" had something to do with the issue....which I didn't really expect). No difference.
I tried placing the front unit at the back and vice versa....but the wiring must be different as the result was that the sound went nuts, but the motors didn't respond at all.
Time to tackle the dreaded boiler section. I had decided that that pesky QSI decoder was going to "decoder heaven". Many had warned me of the difficulties experienced in the task of removing the boiler top off its chassis. Piece of cake! I removed the 2 counter-sunk screws up the front (underneath). I inserted a largish flat screwdriver into one side of the housing where the electrical connection to the front unit and gently levered this upwards. The front edge of the metal frame lifted away from the plastic boiler and I inserted another screwdriver in the gap created. I continued to prise-open the 2 portions; the job was completed in about 30 seconds flat from go to whoa. Too easy.
The decoder was unceremoniously removed with wires being cut. Like I said at the beginning....there is no going back. My main interest is to get the model running smoothly and with reasonable sound output. I am not too worried about lighting and have snipped the blue wires as well as the white and yellow.
I now plan to set the model aside until I can order a suitable sound decoder. I think I will wait and see what these new TCS "WOW" decoders are like, once they become commonly available.
I'm also planning on altering another fundamental aspect of this model. It is built in a very similar manner to the old, original Model Dockyard brass Garratt, in that the boiler unit rides on the 2 inboard bogies. This is a dreadful system as far as making the best use of weight is concerned. Not only is the weight of the boiler not utilised to aid adhesion/traction, it actually detracts from the pulling power of the loco, as it effectively becomes a heavy "wagon".
Instead, as I did with the 2 Dockyard 60 class locos, I plan to add an "out-rigger" to each motor unit. This will be attached to the underside of the power unit/s and will extend back towards the centre of the loco, to such a position that the inboard bogies can become part of the power unit/s. This is the same system employed by both Mansfield and DJH Garratts. I will add a small pad of plastic/styrene for the boiler to sit on and depending on space available inside the boiler, will also add additional weight to the boiler to aid traction. The springs on the outer bogies will either be removed totally or shortened, so they don't detract from traction. All 4 bogies are very light and may need to have some lead added (if feasible).
I will report again once I have completed the job.
We've disabled Quick Reply for this thread as it was last updated more than six months ago.