The Western Express makes an ideal train to the Airport.Sorry, still don't agree with you. It's much more direct from Badgerys Creek to the CBD via the SWRL and East Hills Line. An express service should run to the City Circle via Sydenham, not Sydney Airport. I can't see the point of a loop from the Western Express. The whole purpose of the Western Express is to provide faster journey times for outer suburban services from Penrith and Richmond. If, as you're suggesting, that these commuters would have to change at Blacktown to reach the CBD, what's the benefit for them?
The new airport is along way out, you need an express for the travel time to the city by train to be realistic for travellers. At the same time the Paramatta and points west also need and deserve faster access to the city and VV.
Its roughly 25km from Leppington to Badgery's Creek and up to the Rooty Hill which is where a loop line might run. As this is past Blacktown this makes it perfect for a Western Express,
- City Circle / Redfern
- Badger's Creek Airport Loop Line to Glenfield Stations
- East Hills
- Wolli Creek and Airport line stations to City Cirlce
Penrith and Richmond Line users are catered for as they can catch their respective local services from Blacktown.
ESR, sth Branch is now Randwick only. The SSLR kills part of the demand in the more southern lower density suburbs for costly UG railway. I staying with a 4.5km curved extension terminating under the south edge of Randwick near the uni and hospital.
Station at Queens Park, Coogee and Randwick. Spaced about 1.2 to 1.5km apart and similar distance to the beaches.
As for the ESR, Maroubra Junction is a high density centre with significant residential redevelopment in recent years. A railway extension would provide a faster service to the CBD than the light rail. If the light rail was extended from Kingsford to Maroubra Junction it would provide a complimentary service along a different route.
Its a holistic approach.
- There will be more and more Airport to Airport traffic
- There will be traffic from BC Airport to the West and Nth
- The will be traffic from BC Airport to the city
- The Express service can provide near cross platform interchange at Blacktown if done well, maybe not for both branches
- The will be growing traffic from Para to City CBD's
- Avoids more complex time tables and routes, easy for the public to follow. This is the Airports loop train!
- Western Express corridor can still have services to Emu Plains and Richmond.
- Not sure what would be faster, going via East Hills and Airport or going via Para?
- Similar approach taken by Munich. At Munich Airport trains don't continue, rather go back to provide a buffer in the timetable and with 10min between trains is actually fed by one track only on one side at least and the next station 5min away the trains from city spilt at the platform (Airport station is off a branch from another line) in 1min or join heading to city (honestly it was done so fast that if I had not looked out the door as we left I wouldn't have seen it. So potentially The Western Express could be a 3 way split? Or maybe just 2.
ESR I'll take your word for it.