AssumeA train cannot accelerate above 1ms-2 or people will be thrown out of their rear facing seats or those standing to back of the train.I had been thinking of a 250kph stand alone express with all seated and with the seats that change direction like our DD
Its 25km from CBD to CBD, 160km/hr trains will do the job in 15-18min with 2-3 stop along the way, surely this is sufficient.
If the limited stop express can do it in 25 minutes especially after the metro allows more DD near Redfern maybe people would just catch that.
Perhaps if the connection was only 7 minutes it would reverse yesterdays trend where business is going east taking good jobs with them.
Central - Redfern - Straithfield - Paramatta
To speed 160km/hr between Redfern and Paramatta
- 30sec dwell time
- 4min Central to Redfern
- braking and acceleration is 1ms-1
I get 12-13min, so lets make it 15min. Current best for same pattern is 26min.
I picked 160 as the current rolling stock with a more powerfull traction should be able to do this.
- 250km/hr saves another 2-3min and would cost probably twice as much and use specialised rolling stock and signalling.
- 130km/hr max is still under 15min.
I wouldn't bore a tunnel for this as its usage for the cost would see the tunnel underuterlised. I would
- Bore a tunnel for inner west Metro. Metro is non-compatible technology so keep it separate and the Inner West Metyro would be the starter for the inner NW Metro.
- Triple track from Homebush to Lidcombe (these two solve another issue at same time)
- Improve Interurban line to 160km/hr alignment and High speed points.
- SW trains would use both route via Reagents Park (again) and Gladsville)
By rating the line
- 140-160km/hr the XPT and XPL can still use it and not get in the way.
- Interurban trains would be able to also use it as most of this rolling stock is probably rated to 130km/hr anyway or could be and certainly new stock.
- The high speed track would continue to Blacktown for the benefit of Blue Mountains and Western Suburbs commuters and future airport
- My Airport loop train would be the western express
Overall it would probably be a $5-6 exercise including the inner West Metro and triple track to Lidcombe.
So for the price you get a 15min CBD to CBD service and significantly increased capacity and track efficiency.