Where is the SG line to Ethiopia?
Ethiopia is proposing a SG branch line to Metema
on the Sudan border, "half" way to Khartoum, where it would connect with the SG line from Aswan in Egypt. The maps earlier in this thread do not show the scale.
Besides the all-important rail gauge the SG lines from Sudan and Ethiopia need to be compatible in other ways, such as:
* Loading gauge
* Couplers British Buffer and Chain in Egypt and American AAR in Ethiopia
* Loco multiple unit controls
* Axle loads and rail weights, say 25T and 60kg/m.
* Ruling Gradients
* Curves and thus many speed limits.
* Train lengths and crossing loop lengths
* Advanced signalling such as ETCS.
* 25kV 50Hz electrification
* Double stacking perhaps?
* A freight hub needs to be established on vacant land near but not necessarily in Khartoum the capital of Sudan. Similarly a passenger hub, with enough platforms to serve trains in all directions at the same time.
* Some but not necessarily all of Sudan's NG lines would be converted to SG, including the line to Port Sudan on the Red Sea.
* Any upgrade of the NG lines should use Dual Gauge Concrete sleepers, like Ghana and Nigeria.
See: https://www.railntransit.com/projects/ethiopia-sudan-railway/The proposed route is Addis Ababa (ETH)-Awash-Kombolcha-Weldiya-Wereta-Gonder-Metema (border)-Galabat-Gadarif-Kassala-Haiya-Port of Sudan. (SUD)
Edited 6 times.