"Warragul Railway Station, dating from 1918, was designed by JW Hardy and constructed by W Gillen on the Melbourne-Warragul line for the Victorian Railways. It replaced an earlier timber station building that was constructed c.1878-9. The current station buildings comprise a large brick station building with a continuous clerestory light and cantilevered verandah, brick outbuildings and a standard corrugated iron goods shed.
Warragul Railway Station is architecturally significant as an example of the 'Korong Vale Style'; a small group of station buildings developed to replace the inadequate facilities at important junctions. The buildings include several features of note, such as the curved pediment motif employed in other departmental designs of the day. In addition, the metal arched trusses to the interior, the lead glass windows, the original signage and the platform furniture are all of architectural note.
Warragul Railway Station is historically significant as it serves as an important reminder of the Victorian Railway's services improvements between 1909 and 1920. The station reflects the anticipated volume of traffic and the former level of accommodation and catering provided by the Railways Department for its patrons."