THE RISING Sun footbridge linking Seddon with West Footscray will be demolished early next month to make way for the $5 billion Regional Rail Link.
Residents were first told the bridge would remain in place until the end of next year, but about 2000 letters being sent out from today will announce the bridge will close on January 8 and be pulled down between January 12 and 14.
The bridge will not be replaced.
PLANS to build a railway station at Southland have been ready to launch since March last year, but have stalled while the Baillieu government considers pursuing a deal with the shopping centre owner to share the construction costs.
Documents obtained by Fairfax Media reveal that the Department of Transport proposed last year that the government sell Southland's owner, Ventana, the right to build new stores above the planned station.
Plans for the North West Rail Link moved a step closer this morning.
Transport Minister Gladys Berejiklian announced the start of the third major North West Rail Link contract process to deliver and operate the link.
"This is the biggest milestone so far in this massive infrastructure project," Ms Berejiklian said.
The NSW Government called for expressions of interest for the Operations, Trains and Systems contract.
Whitehaven Coal might seek temporary approval to truck coal from its Narrabri underground mine, after a train derailment near Boggrabri forced the closure of its rail line.
According to the Financial Review Whitehaven has been advised that while cleanup work has begun the track damage is unlikely to be fixed within the next 12 to 15 days.
Experts say plans for light rail between the CBD and the University of NSW will boost property prices along the route.
The state government is expected to announce next week the first stage of a light rail plan that is set to reinvigorate Sydney's public transport network.
It is also expected to commit to the second stage - lord mayor Clover Moore and the public's favoured option of light rail between Central and Circular Quay along George Street.
The stage-one route is likely to run from Central, through Surry Hills, to the SCG, and up Anzac Parade to Kensington and Kingsford.
A major freight route in north-west NSW is expected to reopen within three weeks after a derailment left thousands of tonnes of grain, pulses and cotton stranded.
Australia Rail Track Corporation says repair work in underway and trains will be back on track at Boggabri by Christmas.
Six fully loaded coal wagons fell from the track last week, causing major structural damage to the rail bridge last Wednesday.
Buses will replace trains on the Gippsland train line this weekend.
The disruptions are being caused by track work scheduled for the Melbourne train line.
V/Line spokesman James Kelly says Gippsland travellers need to allow extra time for their journeys.
PAULSBORO, N.J. (CBS) – U.S. Coast Guard officials said Thursday that pumping operations on the breached rail car have been completed, which is a step in the right direction for still-evacuated residents in Paulsboro.
The Unified Command said that product mixture pumping operations were completed on the breached rail car at 6 p.m. Wednesday.
A thorough cleaning was performed at 7:40 a.m. on Thursday to eliminate any remaining liquid from the breached rail car. A barge is being moved into place on the Mantua Creek and other tankers carrying vinyl chloride will have to be checked and then moved out by the barge.
YARRA Council has called for the release of first phase findings of the Doncaster Rail Study to help balance debate around Melbourne's future.
Yarra Mayor, Jackie Fristacky said she had written to state Transport Minister, Terry Mulder seeking the release of the report to better inform the public into transport and planning considerations.
AFTERNOON peak-hour travel on Sydney's major roads is getting even slower, according to the latest snapshot of the state's transport system.
But there has been a mild improvement in travel times in the city's notorious morning peak hour, says the report, which highlights a host of long-standing problems in the management and performance of the system.
The Auditor-General's performance report into transport and ports, released on Wednesday, reveals that almost half the major transport projects in the state are over-budget or delayed.
A NEW train tunnel from the CBD to Tullamarine is being considered as part of a long-awaited rail link to Melbourne Airport.
A state government study into the feasibility of an airport connection has examined about 80 route options designed to ease traffic congestion and cope with the airport's future growth.
One of the options is a direct tunnel from the CBD that would cut through the north-west suburbs. Another is a rail link between Albion North and the airport, connected to the city via the Sunbury train line.
There were 101 sightings for this week. This is 11 sighting more than last week, making a total of 5679 sightings for this year to date. On day 343 last year we had recorded 5530 sightings. This is 149 sightings up on the same time last year.
Wollongong was still under consideration for a stop on any proposed Sydney-Canberra-Melbourne high-speed rail network, Greens transport spokeswoman Lee Rhiannon has said.
A study into high-speed rail was commissioned by the federal government as part of a deal to earn the support of the Greens in Parliament.
The first phase of the study laid out a proposed route and identified the Illawarra as a regional area that could benefit from high-speed rail.
VETERAN Maitland councillor Ray Fairweather is calling for five Lower Hunter councils to co-operate to create a co-ordinated, light-rail network to transport the large numbers of people expected to move into the region in coming years.
Mr Fairweather, who retired from the Maitland City Council at this year’s local government election, said if a network was not built, the region would face the same, if not worse, traffic congestion being experienced now.
THE bid to extend the rail line to Mernda has won the support of Northern Metropolitan MLC Craig Ondarchie.
He has asked lobbyists to draw up a cost-benefit analysis of taking the rail line from South Morang seven kilometres to Mernda, with an additional three stations.
The information will be given to Treasury to establish a case for the extension, according to Darren Peters of the South Morang and Mernda Rail Alliance.
A prohibition notice has been issued for some American-made rail cars after wagons in a Newcastle-bound grain train started to sag and fracture.
The Office of Transport Safety Investigations is investigating the incident at Gulgong involving a train en route to Newcastle last Wednesday.
The train had 100 wagons manufactured in the US by American Railcar Industries.
The chairman of the state grain handling committee, Geoff Brock, has urged the South Australian Government to accept the committee's final report after the way was cleared for Glencore to take over Viterra.
Glencore announced on Friday night it had cleared the final regulatory hurdle and been approved by the Chinese Government.
The multi-national company will now take control of most of the state's grain handling storage and port facilities.
There was much talk over the weekend about Bendigo's trams making a comeback to the public transport landscape, 40 years after the system shut down.
Conductors, tourists and local families flocked to Bendigo's vintage talking trams to celebrate the tourist attraction's 40th birthday.
The network started when the public transport tram system wound up in 1972.
Truck movements of grain out of Narrabri begin in earnest today following a train derailment at Boggabri, with Tamworth the focus of activity.
The extra road movements are needed following the closure of the main Northern line after a coal train derailed at Boggabri nearly two weeks ago, causing damage to tracks and the Coxs Creek Bridge.
A NEW masterplan for an under-used section of the parklands proposes a $15 million pedestrian bridge, youth precinct and community orchards - and running the Outer Harbor rail line underground.
The Renewal SA masterplan, which will go before an Adelaide City Council meeting tonight, proposes a two-staged redevelopment of about 5ha of parklands between Port Rd and Park Tce.
ALMOST 170,000 free trips are being taken on Melbourne's public transport network each weekday, despite overall fare evasion falling.
Results of the latest fare evasion survey, released yesterday, showed freeloaders equated to 9.4 per cent of about 1.8 million weekday commuters. It is an improvement on the 11.9 per cent figure in October last year and 13.5 per cent in May this year.
Fare evasion on buses rose from 7.6 per cent in October 2011 to 9.1 per cent - or about 38,000 of the 417,000 weekday trips.
The future of a major rail project through Queensland's southern inland is in limbo.
In 2006, a consortium of mining and infrastructure companies was given an exclusive contract to build a 204-kilometre rail line between Wandoan and Banana.
It is designed to link Surat Basin coal mines to the Port of Gladstone.
Toowoomba Mayor Paul Antonio says he will make a renewed effort to call for a rail link between Parkes in New South Wales and Brisbane, via regional southern Queensland.
The Toowoomba and Goondiwindi councils met Australasian Railway Association (ARA) CEO Brian Nye, in Millmerran yesterday, to get an update on the long-discussed inland rail line from Melbourne to Brisbane.
Thousands of Melbourne commuters had a longer journey to work than normal today because of a problem which is being experienced worldwide, the theft of copper.
The Melbourne thieves targetted cabling between some of the railway stations in the city's west.
Globally the theft of copper is driven by high world prices for the metal.
Frustrated rail supporters believe their protests to save Maitland's direct link with the Newcastle CBD have fallen on deaf ears with Premier Barry O'Farrell to announce before Christmas the closure of the line at Wickham .
Save Our Rail president Joan Dawson said her group has it on good authority that the rail line will be cut at Wickham with bumpers installed on the tracks to stop the trains.
Ms Dawson said the government would use $60 million from the Hunter Infrastructure Fund to build temporary facilities to move commuters from the train to the platform - including bumpers - which would remain in place for two years to allow the redevelopment of Newcastle CBD.