Station naming deals announced
Runaway Rail Car Kicked Loose by Teen Hits New York Station
Škoda unveils its second tram for the Chinese market
Wabtec to buy Faiveley Transport for US$1·8bn
Constantine tram extension contract
Channel Tunnel: '2,000 migrants' tried to enter
Ottawa urban rail gets federal funding
UK and Italian operators order Vossloh locomotives
First Great Western and Eversholt sign Hitachi AT300 train contract
Tanzania, Rwanda and Burundi invite interest in DIKKM railway
A Spanish judge suspects operators of the state rail infrastructure company of recklessness in a train derailment that killed 79 people last month.
The train tore off the tracks on a sharp bend on the outskirts of the northwestern city of Santiago de Compostela on July 24 in Spain's deadliest train disaster since 1944.
A regional court has brought charges of reckless homicide against the driver, who failed to slow the train down enough before it crashed at twice the speed limit.
But the judge investigating the crash, Luis Alaez, says he also wants to question the operators responsible for safety on the route that night, to see whether they gave enough information to the driver on when to slow down.
He suspects that "there was an omission of elementary caution by those whose job it was to guarantee the safety of the rail traffic on the line in question, which constitutes punishable recklessness", a written ruling released by the Galicia regional court said.
The judge ordered ADIF, the state company that operates Spain's rail infrastructure, to identify the operators responsible so he could summon them as suspects.
"It is clear that the driver is certainly responsible for handling and steering the train... but also that it was clearly foreseeable that carelessness or inattentiveness on his part could cause an accident with a high risk for the life and safety of passengers," the ruling said.
The train's data recorders have revealed it was travelling at 179km/h when it derailed on a track with a speed limit of 80km/h, just after the driver finished a telephone call with a conductor.
ADIF and the state company that runs the trains, RENFE, have both denied technical failings and said correct procedures were followed.
Public Works Minister Ana Pastor has announced a general safety review of Spain's railways.
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2021 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.