Plenty Road track maintenance
Read 17-minute stories and join #onboardbookclub
E-Class trams on Route 11 & new passenger info displays - all part of improving Melbourne’s tram network
Infrastructure Tasmania boss Allan Garcia considers new bridge and light rail projects
Nalder finds light rail ‘unviable’
New East Brunswick tram terminus being built in second phase of Route 96 upgrade
Prime Minister Tony Abbott uses ACT light rail project as example of how to fund public transport
Man injured while working on light rail network in Sydney's CBD
Fuel cell tram framework agreement
Adelaide tram drivers to stop work
Federal Assistant Infrastructure Minister Jamie Briggs has warned the ACT opposition not to cancel contracts for Canberra's light rail line after the 2016 election, describing the move as "economic lunacy".
Mr Briggs said the Abbott government's firm position was that contracts lawfully entered into by governments to build infrastructure projects must be honoured.
His comments came a day after Opposition Leader Jeremy Hanson and Liberal transport spokesman Alistair Coe wrote to two international consortiums to explain a Hanson government would stop the $783 million project after the October 2016 election because it was not viable.
Mr Briggs' comments follow Prime Minister Tony Abbott's criticism of the Victorian Labor government's decision to tear up contracts for a controversial tunnel project.
"As we have seen with the East West Link disaster in Victoria, tearing up legally binding infrastructure contracts raises sovereign risk, damages investor confidence and stifles economic growth," Mr Briggs said.
"Australia needs more private sector involvement in infrastructure, not less. In this respect threatening to tear up contracts is bad enough but to follow through with this threat is simple economic lunacy that will damage not just the jurisdiction involved but the broader economy."
Following Mr Briggs' warning, Mr Hanson said: "If the Canberra Liberals are elected next year, we will have a responsibility to stop light rail because that's what Canberrans would have elected us to do."
"The best course of action would be for the Labor government to not sign contracts before the election so that Canberrans can have their say on this massive project.''
Capital Metro Minister Simon Corbell said on Wednesday that the ACT Liberals' letter was "reckless" and said that it signalled the possible loss of hundreds of jobs under a Hanson government.
Asked 10 questions about the letter, Mr Corbell mentioned jobs, employment or work in nine of his answers to reporters and TV cameras.
The new emphasis on jobs was stark, coming after the government and Capital Metro Agency have repeatedly talked up reductions in traffic congestion, public transport development and health.
Last week Unions ACT confirmed it was polling about the tram project, including whether poll participants were more or less likely to vote for light rail if it created 3500 jobs during construction.
Unions ACT secretary Alex White has met with government and opposition members to discuss light rail. The organisation is finalising its position on the tram but Mr White said it was job-creating infrastructure.
Mr Corbell said the government had a clear mandate to build the $783 million tram line. The project is set to receive a $375 million capital contribution from the government once services begin from 2019.
This article first appeared on www.canberratimes.com.au
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2021 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.