Public Transport Victoria forum hears call for more Maryborough train services
State Government Commits to Developing Rail Infrastructure for Victoria
Horsham residents to be quizzed about future use of dormant rail corridor land
No choppers here: Malcolm Turnbull takes the train to Geelong
Opposition Leader Matthew Guy backs Melbourne Airport rail link
Jail time for train threats to Vline Staff
Premier Daniel Andrews hears efforts to address Central Goldfields disadvantage, push for more Maryborough trains
The Inland Rail Link Melbourne to Brisbane a Similar Case as the RAA's Bendigo - Geelong Rail Link
North-West Rail Alliance urges more council support amid push for return of Mildura passenger rail
Grampians Rail Trail: Shire calls for community to step up and manage facility
On Sunday, March 22, NSW and Victoria announced shutdowns of non-essential services from midday, Monday, March 23.
While both states have continued to determine that public transport is an essential service, Victoria has introduced extra guidelines to keep passengers and rail workers safe from coronavirus (COVID-19).
The Victorian government has encouraged commuters to stagger the times that they need to use public transport. With the recommended distance of four square metres per person in indoor gatherings often difficult to achieve on public transport, even with reduced patronage numbers, travelling outside of peak times could be safer.
On top of measures announced last week, extra cleaning will be carried out on Victorian public transport, including trains and trams. Similarly, in Auckland personal hand sanitisers have been given to frontline staff, and new public hand sanitiser stands have been installed. Health advice has been displayed on services and in stations and stops.
Transport for NSW reiterated the advice it has given to passengers and staff to limit the spread of COVID-19.
Operators are encouraging passengers to use cashless payments, including the myki and AT HOP cards. Auckland Transport will not be accepting cash fares on buses from Monday, March 23.
Outside of the major cities, the Australian and New Zealand governments have prohibited non-essential travel. This has led to operators suspending some interstate and regional passenger services.
In Australia, The Overland, The Ghan, and the Indian Pacific have been cancelled until May 31 after Western Australia and the Northern Territory closed their borders to non essential travel. South Australia has also restricted border crossings. This closure does not apply to freight rail.
In New Zealand, KiwiRail has suspended three tourist trains, until further notice, said chief executive Greg Miller.
“Tomorrow’s TranzAlpine, Northern Explorer and Coastal Pacific trains have been cancelled and the services will remain suspended until further notice,” he said. The Capital Connection service will continue.
Miller said that safety of staff, customers, and communities was the priority.
V/Line has advised that passengers using regional services should reconsider if their journeys are essential. Café bar services on V/Line trains will not be available.
A Transport for NSW spokesperson said that regional and urban trains will continue as normal.
“We understand the important role public transport plays in the daily lives of our commuters, especially in the regions, and there is currently no plan to reduce services of trains or buses across our network.”
The post Transport agencies respond to COVID-19 shutdown appeared first on Rail Express.
This article first appeared on www.railexpress.com.au
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2021 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.