Public Transport Victoria forum hears call for more Maryborough train services
State Government Commits to Developing Rail Infrastructure for Victoria
Horsham residents to be quizzed about future use of dormant rail corridor land
No choppers here: Malcolm Turnbull takes the train to Geelong
Opposition Leader Matthew Guy backs Melbourne Airport rail link
Jail time for train threats to Vline Staff
Premier Daniel Andrews hears efforts to address Central Goldfields disadvantage, push for more Maryborough trains
The Inland Rail Link Melbourne to Brisbane a Similar Case as the RAA's Bendigo - Geelong Rail Link
North-West Rail Alliance urges more council support amid push for return of Mildura passenger rail
Grampians Rail Trail: Shire calls for community to step up and manage facility
A SECTION of the Melbourne to Sydney rail freight route has become so unsafe it is putting lives at risk, the train drivers' union has warned.
The number of trains breaking apart on the stretch of track between Melbourne and Seymour has jumped 200 per cent since 2007, figures compiled by Public Transport Safety Victoria show, with 17 incidents this year.
The rail safety watchdog is investigating the cause of the breakaways, which have increased dramatically since an upgrade to the track last year.
The Victorian Rail, Tram and Bus Union said any breakaways on the line could result in a derailment, causing carriages to spill on to the parallel line used by V/Line services. In Victoria, the line is used by numerous freight trains each day.
As part of a $2.4 billion Federal Government plan to improve rail links between Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, the entire track is being upgraded, with concrete sleepers replacing timber.
The union said the upgrade to concrete in the Melbourne to Seymour section had created mud holes, causing freight carriages to detach as one part of the train sank lower than another. Locomotive division secretary Brian Hill said this could lead to a derailment if a detached carriage slammed back into carriages it had disconnected from.
The Australian Rail Track Corporation, owned by the Federal Government, conceded the upgrade had not gone to plan. Spokesman Tim Ryan said drainage problems had created the mud holes. He denied it was unsafe, but said works were being undertaken to fix the problem.
Internal corporation documents obtained by The Sunday Age show trains between Albury and Melbourne were losing more than 50 minutes a trip due to the mud holes and speed restrictions.
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2021 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.