Public Transport Victoria forum hears call for more Maryborough train services
State Government Commits to Developing Rail Infrastructure for Victoria
Horsham residents to be quizzed about future use of dormant rail corridor land
No choppers here: Malcolm Turnbull takes the train to Geelong
Opposition Leader Matthew Guy backs Melbourne Airport rail link
Jail time for train threats to Vline Staff
Premier Daniel Andrews hears efforts to address Central Goldfields disadvantage, push for more Maryborough trains
The Inland Rail Link Melbourne to Brisbane a Similar Case as the RAA's Bendigo - Geelong Rail Link
North-West Rail Alliance urges more council support amid push for return of Mildura passenger rail
Grampians Rail Trail: Shire calls for community to step up and manage facility
Following a fatality in the Caulfield loop last week, passengers report that the emergency buttons don't always draw a response. The Age queries the government and the RTBU about reliability of emergency buttons / intercoms.
Intercoms have failed on Melbourne’s trains at least three times in the past week, leaving commuters stranded and helpless in emergencies.
The Government’s transport department yesterday said ensuring commuters had access to emergency intercoms was not its responsibility. Train operator Connex was.
A packed Hurstbridge line train stuck between stations yesterday caused a woman passenger to faint, two commuters who contacted The Age said.
Andrew Barnett, a passenger aboard the ‘‘overcrowded, late, unventilated’’ train, said that when the woman had collapsed, passengers tried emergency intercoms in two carriages. Nothing happened.
‘‘At no time was it clear that any Connex staff were even aware that a problem existed,’’ Mr Barnett said.
Connex last night confirmed the intercom on the train had failed, and that the train had been taken out of service.
The woman was treated at Flinders Street Station and was unharmed.
At least two other reports of failed or ignored intercoms have surfaced in the last week.
A 36-year-old Reservoir man was killed last Tuesday when he forced open doors on a train in the City Loop, got stuck in the doorway, and was dragged under the train. Passengers reported pressing emergency intercoms repeatedly, and getting no response until the train arrived at the next station, Parliament.
And in another case reported to The Age last week, James, who did not give permission for his surname to be used, said his partner had tried a button in an emergency and got no response.
Connex spokesman John Rees denied emergency intercoms failed regularly. Trains were checked at the start of each day and those with a faulty emergency intercom would finish their journey and then be repaired.
Connex instructs drivers who receive emergency calls to halt the train at the safest possible location.
‘‘The incident (yesterday) would have been distressing for those on board, but it is not typical and ... very rare,’’ Mr Rees said.
State rail union divisional president Terry Sheedy said drivers often received hoax calls on their intercom, while packed trains caused passengers to press the button accidentally.
‘‘A lot of passengers will press the button to tell you they missed their stop, or to ask you ‘How long are we going to be stuck here?’ when you are (stopped),’’ Mr Sheedy said.
He said inspectors never fined anyone for misusing the intercoms.
See also threads on sick passengers and radio system upgrade
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2021 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.